Chapter 23: The Beacons of Minas Tirith

Pippin sits next to Merry, looking ashamed and guilty. The rest of the Fellowship stands opposite the hobbits, discussing Pippin's encounter with Sauron last night. I stand in between Legolas and Aragorn, my arm's folded across my chest.

"There was no lie in Pippin's eyes." Gandalf says. "A fool, but an honest fool he remains. He told Sauron nothing of Frodo and the Ring." Théoden nods, and Pippin looks down in shame. "We've been strangely fortunate. Pippin saw in the Palantír a glimpse of the enemy's plan. Sauron moves to strike the city of Minas Tirith.

"His defeat at Helm's Deep showed our enemy one thing: he knows the heir of Elendil has come forth. Men are not as weak as he supposed- there is courage still, strength enough to challenge him. Sauron fears this. He will not risk the people of Middle Earth uniting under one banner. He will raze Minas Tirith to the ground before he sees a King return to the throne of men. If the Beacons of Gondor are lit, Rohan must be ready for war."

"Tell me, why should we ride to the aid of those who did not come to ours?" Théoden asks. I inwardly scoff at his child-like behavior. I know I haven't been exactly nice to Théoden, but I'm still angry at him. He kept this from me, he kept me in the dark. "What do we owe Gondor?"

"We shouldn't have to owe someone something to be able to help them." I hiss. I open my mouth to say more, but Legolas places his hand on my shoulder and Aragorn starts to speak.

"I will go. "

"No!" Gandalf protests.

"They must be warned."

"They will be. You must come to Minas Tirith by another road." Gandalf advises. "Follow the river and look to the black ships. Understand this- things are now in motion that cannot be undone. I ride for Minas Tirith." Gandalf turns his head to gaze at Merry and Pippin. "And I won't be going alone."

* * *

I stroke Numen's mane, running a brush over his fiery coat. I didn't really feel like talking to people, so I decided to visit my horse and groom him a little. I vent to the horse about my problems and tell him what has happened the previous day, but I fall silent as I hear footsteps entering the stables.

"How far is Minas Tirith?" I hear Pippin ask to someone.

"Three days ride, as the Nazgûl flies. And we better hope that we don't have one of those on our tail." Gandalf responds. I quietly place the brush on a shelf.

"Here. Something for the road." I hear Merry say to Pippin as I fill a bucket with oats.

"Last of the Longbottom Leaf?" Pippin's surprised voice rings out and I smile. Merry is too kind.

"I know you've run out. You smoke too much, Pip."

I sigh a little as I fold up the bag containing the leftover oats and place it beside the brush on the shelf.

"But we'll see each other soon, won't we?" Pippin asks. All is quiet for a moment.

"I don't know." Merry finally answers. "I don't know what's going to happen."

I open the stable door quietly to see Pippin in front of Gandalf on Shadowfax, a distraught Merry standing nearby. I nod to Gandalf and smile reassuringly and sympathetically at Pippin before Gandalf nudges the white horse into a gallop, bursting out of the stables.

"Merry!" Pippin's cry lingers in the air. Merry runs out of the stables and he runs up to the top of a watchtower. I quickly follow him up the winding stairs.

"Merry!" Aragorn shouts and he joins in our little chase. Merry runs to the edge of the watchtower, peering over the wall. I stand beside him, Aragorn on his other side.

"He's always followed me. Everywhere I went, since before we were tweens." I look at the hobbit sadly. "I would get him in the worst of trouble. But I was always there to get him out. And now he's gone." He pauses. "Just like Frodo and Sam." I feel bad for Merry. All of the other Hobbits have left him over the course of the journey. Aragorn places his hand on Merry's shoulder.

"One thing I've learned about Hobbits," Aragorn says comfortingly, "They are most hardy folk." Merry looks up at us and smirks.

"Foolhardy maybe. He's a Took."

* * *

I sit at a table in the hall with Legolas, Théoden and several guards. A small bowl of soup sits in front of me, a little bit left. I hum a little song under my breath, one that the elves in Rivendell would often sing in the evening. I would walk onto my balcony and listen. My chest aches- I miss home. Of course I've travelled before, for a long period of time, but this adventure is one I don't know I'll return from. I shake the thought from my mind and peacefully sip the broth, enjoying the quiet.

The doors burst open suddenly and I inwardly groan. I should have known that not even one day would be uneventful...

"The Beacons of Minas Tirith! The Beacons are lit!" Aragorn shouts, breathing heavily. I raise my eyebrows- he must have run from where he sat guard all the way here. "Gondor calls for aid!"

I glance at my grandfather who looks around the room. Everybody turns to face Théoden, waiting for his response. I hold my breath, praying that he cares enough to help Gondor and not just ignore their pleas for help. He hesitates so long I begin to think he isn't going to help.

"And Rohan will answer." He finally answers.

A/N: Hey, I hope you like this chapter :) I'm going to Las Vegas tomorrow for a week, so I won't be able to update for a while. I'm sorry!! :(

Thanks for reading, don't forget to comment and vote!!

Shay xx