Chapter 1 - Arrival

I feel a slight bump in the road, it wakes me up. I'm startled for a split second, I forget where I am. I look around and remember that I am on a bus ride over to my new life. My new start in the village called Pelican Town. I sigh and look outside the window. I was still driving through the city when I fell asleep, the sudden change of scenery is somewhat difficult to get used to. Instead of gray, lumpy houses blocking my view, I am able to admire the giant fields, with a few trees in the distance. The road is brown and rocky.

I turn my head to the side and lean against the window, finally I'm able to see the outlines of a town a few miles up ahead. So this is it. This is going to be Pelican Town. Why have I decided to move away? I guess something inside of me just pushed me to make this decision. Sure, the letter my grandpa sent me was probably the last bit of encouragement I needed to make this choice, but even before, I felt like I needed change. I felt suffocated by my daily life. A lot of people will tell you that you'll find your freedom in the big city, but you won't. At least I didn't. I wasn't quite sure what exactly it is that I was lacking, and I still don't really know, but I'm sure I'll figure it out once I'm there.

The town in the distance is starting to grow bigger. I'm nervous, but I remember that my grandpa told me, his old friend Lewis will welcome me with open arms and show me everything I need to know. I find it hard to warm up to strangers, but knowing that I won't be completely alone as soon as I arrive makes me feel somewhat more at ease. Also, he was my grandpa's friend, so he isn't a complete stranger, is he?

Completely lost in my thoughts, I don't even realize that the bus has already stopped at my destination. The bus driver turns around and glances at me. "We are in Pelican Town" I look at him, it takes a few seconds for me to process that he is talking to me. "Oh, I'm sorry!" I say and quickly get off the bus, making sure not to forget any of my bags, or.. my one bag, should I say. I probably should've packed more, but to be honest, I just wanted to leave as much behind as possible. I wanted to get away from life in the city, without anything to remember it by.

I hop off the bus, and take a quick look around. I suddenly hear someone shout "Over here!". I squint my eyes and notice an older man waving at me, next to him, a woman with ginger hair and bright green pants. No one else got off with me, so I'm assuming that I am the new farmer these two have been waiting for. I take a deep breath in and approach them.

The woman immediately reaches out her hand and offers to carry my bag for me, and I politely decline. The old man smiles and grabs my hand to shake it. "Welcome to Pelican Town, Sami! I hope you had a safe travel" I nod my head and smile nervously. "And you're gonna be our new farmer? You don't look like the typical farmer but, hey, I'm sure you'll prove me wrong, right?", the ginger haired woman says and gently pats my arm. "My name is Robin, by the way. I own a carpenter shop in the mountains. You should definitely come visit as soon as you've gotten more comfortable around here."

I nod my head "Okay, sure." I hope they don't notice the insecurity behind my words. I wish I could've greeted them more confidently, but I've never really had to talk to anyone back in the city. The last time I felt this nervous was during my job interview for Joja Mart, and even that was around 3 years ago. Ever since that, I don't remember talking to anyone much, really. I worked in the office behind a computer my entire life up until now. Everyone minded their own business. Even during my school life, I always sort of kept to myself. People always expect city folk to be excellent salesmen and conversationalists, but I've never been good at any of that. I truly hope the townspeople here don't have these expectations for me. I don't want to disappoint them.

Robin and the old man, who I assume to be Lewis, have already started leading me to my new place, while also trying to have simple small talk with me. They're telling me about a couple upcoming celebrations in the town center, or chatting about a few of the other villagers here, but I can't pay attention fully. I try to remember the pathway from the bus stop to my home. There's no signs or anything anywhere. My orientation is terrible, because I've gotten so used to having street signs at every corner, and big shops I could use to remember certain places. As for here, I have to pay attention to trees, maybe a couple fences here and there or specific rocks.

After a couple minutes of chitchat from the two, they finally stop right in front of me. "There it is", says Lewis "that's your new forever home." I put my bag down for a second and look up at a smaller cabin. It has a red roof. The walls are already somewhat rusted and torn apart, but all in all, it seems to be stable, and I suppose I'm now its horse. Robin lets out a simple hmm. I turn my head to look at her. "Well, that was anti-climatic". She says sarcastically, and Lewis gives her a slap on the arm.
"Don't listen to her, Sami. She's just trying to get you to purchase a new house update from her shop. This place might be somewhat small and old, but I promise you it's worth it. You'll love it here." His words are somewhat calming.

I'm used to living by myself. Back in Zuzu city, I owned a very small apartment, and to be fair, it didn't look a lot better than this cabin does. Some of my walls had holes and cracks in them, and the stairway was so broken apart, I thought it could crash at any second. Lewis places his hand on my shoulder "I'll let you unpack your bag now and make yourself at home. Remember to introduce yourself to the townsfolk as soon as you can, and if you need anything, just come to Mayor Lewis" so he's the mayor? I think to myself. I grin at him, then watch them wave me goodbye and follow a pathway back towards the city center. Before I can enter my door, I hear Robin call out my name and I quickly glance at her. "You should talk to my son, Sebastian! I bet some new company would do him good." Sebastian, I'll hopefully remember that name. I wave at them and slowly unlock the door to my cabin.

It creaks open, and I'm welcomed by a big, bright room with a fireplace in the right corner, and a bed near the entrance. The kitchen is only small, with one counter, a fridge and a stove top. The bathroom is even smaller, and has just a small bathtub and a toilet inside. I like the main room, however. It seems so comfortable and spacious. I'm sure that, after a little while, this place will grow on me. I sit on my new bed, and gently run my hands over the red covers. They feel silky and smooth. It feels nice to finally be able to touch something, other than my bus seat or the leather handles of my bag.

Oh right, my bag! I open it and take out just a couple items, such as my notebook, a water bottle and a little gray plush cat that I've owned for ages. I'm never able to sleep without her next to me, so of course it was important for me to have her by my side as I start into a new life, even though she would remind me of my time back in Zuzu city. I give her a few head pats, then carefully place her next to the white pillow.

A relieved sigh escapes my mouth as I let myself fall backwards onto the bed. I stare at the ceiling and smile. It feels nice. I was so worried I'd immediately hate this place or be entirely overwhelmed by all my new tasks and the new people, but so far, it feels comfortable. If I'm able to get to know this entire town, plus their traditions at my very own pace, then I'm sure I'll quickly get used to this new environment. I think, if I do my best, I'll be able to fit right in. For now, I'm by myself. I can leave this house whenever I want to, and hopefully find some friendly people to get close to, but for now, it's just me. I turn to lay on my side and take my plushy into my hands and play with her ear gently.

"Here's to a new start, Mittens. A new opportunity. A new me."