Chapter 15 - Fatherly pep talk

Yesterday I forgot to check what Shane brought me. That entire day was such a roller coaster that I couldn't focus on anything anymore afterwards. I open the bag and find a mug inside along with a few table cloths. I smile. I'm sure this will make my place look a bit more lively.

Suddenly I hear someone knock at my door and tell them to come in. "Hey Sami, are you feeling better?", the blonde boy says "Oh hi! Yes of course, why wouldn't I be feeling well?", I ask Sam and he sighs "You had a panic attack. On my birthday. I feel guilty", he pouts and sits down on my bed. I walk over to him and pat him on the shoulder "Please don't worry about it. That situation was out of your control, and thankfully, Shane and Sebastian were there to help.", I explain and he nods

"I know. Shane was actually the one who told me. But at that point, Sebastian already went outside to hug you", I feel my face get red and quickly hide it behind my hands. I clear my throat "Oh, speaking of Shane, he told me to wish you a happy birthday!" Sam's face lights up at first but then he tilts his head in confusion. "He's been awfully nice lately...", he says "that's suspicious". I chuckle and gently slap his back "Just encourage him! He's doing better." I suggest.

Sam shrugs his shoulders. "Hey, what was Abby shouting at you for?". He asks and I frown. I try to think of an excuse, but why would I lie to him? I feel like he deserves to know, and he's probably the least likely to judge me out of everyone I know. "Because she found out that I like Sebastian", I say nervously. Sam gasps out in surprise and hugs me "That is so cute!", then he quickly pushes me away again and frowns "oh, wait... maybe not so cute...", he mumbles.

"Is he really going to run away with.. her?", I ask him. I'm genuinely worried. Why would he run off with her when he doesn't even like her? Why would he leave Sam and me behind? "They've planned it for such a long time. They both don't feel welcome here.. the only way to convince their families to let them leave, is if they were to date and run off to start a hypothetical family together. But it was mainly Abigail's idea. Sebastian simply went along because he had no other option, and also because he couldn't really refuse... She doesn't listen when he says no.", Sam explains to me and I clench my fists in frustration

"Why is she so mean? I thought we were friends...", I wonder. Did she already tell Sebastian that I like him? Is she telling him right now? Are they going to run away tomorrow? I don't know what will happen the next couple days and I'm scared to think about it. I don't want Sebastian to leave. I can't let that happen.

"By the way", Sam suddenly interrupts the silence. I unclench my hands and look at him "Remember when we avoided Seb in the Saloon? When you ran out to look for Shane? He talked to me then". He states. I raise one of my brows and curiously ask him what they talked about. "He asked me about you. He was terrified you didn't like him anymore. He was jealous of you caring more about Shane. I also told him that you were jealous of Abby and he suddenly got very excited but also incredibly upset".

I let out a simple oh, and look at the ground "What I'm saying is, don't worry about Abby telling him that you like him. He most likely already knows". I look at him in shock. "Then why would he hug me? Why would he smile at me like that if he knows I like him?". I ask him confused and he simply chuckles "Why do you think, Sami? I didn't take you for the naive type."

I truly don't know what Sam is trying to tell me. Would Sebastian ever like me back? I truly don't know at this point. All I know is that I need to convince him to stay here. I can't lose him. I talk to Sam for a little while longer and then head to Marnie's to thank her for the gifts she made me, however it seems as though she's not home.

I hear a coughing coming from Shane's room, and decide to knock. He opens the door "Oh, it's you again", he says and lets me in. "Yeah, it's me again...", I reply back nervously and sit down on his chair. He looks at me "What are you here for?", he asks and I remember "Oh right! I wanted to thank Marnie but she's not here", I say. He shrugs his shoulders "if you want, I can tell her you said thanks". I shake my head "no it's okay, I'll tell her personally when I get the chance."

He nods his head and looks at me. I randomly zone out for a split second until he pulls me back to reality "What else are you worried about, kid?" I glance at him "oh, nothing! Everything is great", I smile at him. He scoffs at me "Don't lie to me. Take a deep breath and tell papa what's up." I hesitate for a bit but then do as he says.

I tell him everything. The way Abby and Seb act around each other, their plan, the way Seb acts around me, the fact that I like him... everything. Shane simply sits there silently and listens. Never once interrupting. When I'm done, he breathes in and nods his head "I get why you're worried, but maybe he'll change his mind on his own and stay here.", he says "Why would he?".

He gets up and walks towards me, then kneels down so we're directly facing each other. "Maybe he found his special thing that turned his entire life around. Maybe that thing is here in Pelican Town. It's probably right in front of his eyes." He winks at me and puts his hand on my head, gently rubbing it with his thumb "Everything will turn out the way it's supposed to. Keep your head up, little one."

He pats my arm twice before getting back up. "And remember, I'm here if you need someone to rant to about anything. I act like a confused father with his teenage daughter most of the time, but I try my best", he chuckles nervously and I suddenly come to a realization. Sebastian was right. I really do see Shane as a father figure. The way he treats me and the way I feel towards him. I look up to him and I want him to be there to guide me and be proud of me.

Having him to listen to me helped me come to my senses, and his advice also calmed me down. He's right. Everything that's meant to happen, will happen. I just have to hope for the best, and that no matter what I'll have to face, I'll manage to get through it. I get up and smile at Shane "you're a great father", I say, his eyes begin to sparkle slightly and he seems somewhat surprised by this statement. I feel like it hit him right in his heart. But that was my goal.

I wave at him and head outside.