Chapter 9 - Spring festivities

Finally it's time for my very first egg hunt, and also my very first festival here in Pelican Town in general! I actually made my very own bunny ears to wear today. It took forever, but I'm pretty proud of how they turned out in the end. I put them on and look at myself in the mirror. Maybe I have a fitting shirt to wear? I could also draw a pink nose on my face. I want to look as cute and bunny-like as possible.

Finally, I'm finished, and start heading towards the town center. I'm greeted by cheerful music and pastel colored decorations all around. Everyone is already gathered. I see Sebastian and Sam standing around in a corner, waiting for the egg hunt to start, though it doesn't seem like they'll be participating themselves. I run over to them.

Sam immediately notices my costume and starts laughing, Sebastian simply stands there with his mouth slightly hung open. "You look amazing!", Sam says as he wipes a single tear out of his face. Did he really laugh until he cried only because of my costume? Oh well, at least I made him happy. I grin at him "Thank you! Where's Abby?", I look around but can't find her anywhere.

Usually she's one of the people I see first. Her bright purple hair makes her extremely noticeable. "She's preparing for the egg hunt, I believe.", Sebastian replies bluntly. She'll participate? I wonder if she's any good. I don't necessarily think I'm terrible at egg hunting myself, then again, the last time I tried it was in kindergarten.

Though, I somewhat remember when I came to visit grandpa during the egg hunt festival. The current Gen X were the ones who were participating, and everyone tried their hardest. If Abigail has been doing this annually, then I doubt I'll win. It's okay though, I hope I'll have some fun anyway.

The egg hunt starts. I hastily run around and try my hardest to seek for little round pastel eggs hidden all around town. I actually manage to find a few, but before I can fill my basket, the timer ends. We all gather around at the center again, so that Lewis can announce the winner.
"The winner is...", everyone waits in anticipation. "...ABIGAIL!"
Everyone claps, the kids frown, and so do I. But I already expected this to happen.

She laughs and cheers for herself, then lightly punches my arm. "Cheer up! Maybe you'll have a better chance next year." I grin at her and rub my arm. She probably didn't mean to hurt me, but I have pretty weak bones. I hope working on the farm will help me grow stronger. Sebastian walks over to Abigail to congratulate and hug her.

It's kind of weird. Whenever we're in town, he's more affectionate towards her. He doesn't pull away when she grabs him, nor does he seem too uncomfortable. He even initiates some of the physical contact. I really wish I could find out what these two are to each other. Sam hasn't really helped me much with that.

After the festival, everybody meets up at the Saloon to hang out and celebrate. Sam is busy talking to Abigail, when Sebastian silently gets up and heads outside. I'm curious as to where he's going without saying goodbye? I wait a couple of minutes and then also head out to follow him. I walk a bit towards the river, and there he is. I smile, seeing him all by himself. Maybe I'll finally be able to talk to him again.

Though, my smile fades when I see him lighting a cigarette. He smokes? I've never seen him smoke before. I never imagined him to be this type of person. I approach him anyway. "There you are!", I say. He slightly flinches and pulls his cigarette away for a second, probably attempting to hide it, but then realizes that it wouldn't make a difference now. He sighs.

"Why'd you follow me?", he asks bluntly.
"I was just curious as to where you're going without telling us goodbye."
"You might want to get used to that. Who knows, I might just leave forever at any second without saying goodbye. That seems like something I would do."
"No" I reply "It's something you would want to do, but never could."
He sighs and smirks "I guess you're right about that."