Chapter 17 - Beach Day

I wake up the next morning. I can't even remember falling asleep. This doesn't seem like my bed. I take a few seconds to examine the room and realize this is Sam's place. I sit up straight and scratch my head, then yawn.
"Good morning sleepyhead", I hear Sam say. Has he been sitting here all this time, waiting for me to wake up?

"I hope you slept well, because we're going swimming today!" he shouts out in excitement.
I haven't been swimming in quite a while, not really a surprise. I basically wasted all my childhood and teenage years traumatizing myself. "When did you bring me here?", I ask him confused and he chuckles. "I didn't. Seb did. You got really tired and fell asleep on his lap during the Jellyfish festival so he asked me to help him carry you here."

I did what? I quickly glance away and hide my face in embarrassment. I don't remember falling asleep on him. This is bad. "Speaking of the devil", Sam says as his door opens. Sebastian enters and looks at him in confusion. "Nothing, I just told her that she fell asleep on your lap last night", Sam explains. Seb smirks and glances at me.

I quickly grab the blanket and hide my face underneath it. He taps my head twice. "I hope I was comfortable.", he states and chuckles shortly. I can't believe this is happening. Did I do anything else embarrassing or just that? I hope it was just that. I couldn't handle it if anything else happened. Why am I such a clown? Sebastian gently takes the blanket away from me and makes me look at him.

"Don't worry, Sami. I promise nothing bad happened.", he says and encourages me with a smile filled with sincerity. I try to give him a grin back and get up to brush my hair. "Wait, since we're going swimming, do I need to go grab a bikini?" I ask Sam. I notice Sebastian suddenly hiding behind his hair. "Yup, do that. Let's meet at the beach in half an hour", Sam says and nudges Sebastian's arm, then grins at him.

After going back home to put on a bikini and a thin shirt above it, I head to the beach to meet the two of them. Sam takes off his shirt and throws it up into the air. "Beach day!!" He shouts and jumps up excitedly. I laugh and join him enthusiastically. Sebastian hasn't taken his shirt off yet. He's just standing there with his arms crossed, staring at me. Is he zoned out? I wave my hands in front of his face. He blinks a couple times and then glances at me.

"Sorry... you distracted me a bit", he mumbles and looks away shyly. I forgot I was wearing a bikini. But when you go to a beach you see women in bikinis all around you, so why was he so shocked when he saw me? I notice Sam strutting a couple poses and chuckle. "What are you doing?", I ask him. "I've been working out a bit. Can you tell?", he asks, awaiting a positive response.

I nod and poke his biceps. "Definitely notice it here, but that's probably from helping me on the farm so much". We both laugh while Sebastian silently watches us. He seems a lot more awkward than usually, which truly says a lot, considering he's always kind of weird. I command Sam to test the water and step closer towards Sebastian. "You okay?", I ask him and he shrugs his shoulders. "Kind of embarrassing when you're surrounded by beautiful people and you can't keep up with them." He responds and nervously holds onto the ends of his sleeves.

I put my hand on his arm. "You're incredibly pretty, Sebastian. Please don't feel ashamed." He shakes his head. "You're just saying that" "no, I mean that with all my heart." He sighs and gestures me to step back, then takes his shirt off as well. I glance at him. He's not very muscular but has a somewhat normal body type. I expected him to be a lot skinnier, for some reason.
I notice how I've just been staring at him and quickly look away and scratch the back of my head.

"Sorry, didn't mean to stare. Guess you distracted me too." He chuckles. "What exactly distracted you? These?" He raises his arms up and shows me his scars. I don't know how to react. I try to think of what to say but I truly don't know what I'm feeling right now. "Don't worry about them. I've been clean for almost a year now. I just felt the need to show you because.. well.. it's you.", he explains.

I stutter "what made you start in the first place? If I'm allowed to ask." He tilts his head up and thinks for a second. "Honestly, I don't know if I had a specific trigger. Everything was just too much for me and at some point I did it in hopes it would help me feel better. Stupid decision, honestly." He says. I bluntly reply with "yeah". We both lock eye contact for a few seconds and then start laughing gently. "Something tells me you can relate", he states and I sigh "you seem to have an eye for things like that. Somehow you always manage to read me like a book."

"What's your story?", he asks curiously. I hesitate for a bit, trying to organize my thoughts to make sure I explain everything correctly. "I was 16 when I lost my dad. He was the last person I had in my life and when he disappeared as well, I felt so lonely, and also guilty for not being able to save him, even though he wasn't a very nice person. I self harmed once that night, but my aunt came the next day to check in on me and scolded me." I let out a slight, insecure laugh.

"Were you and your aunt close?", he asks me and I shake my head "Not really, but she did care enough to check in on me once or twice a month. She wanted me to stay in our old apartment. She didn't want me to have to live in a foster home or something of that sort. Sadly we never talked enough to become close." I lift up my swim shorts a bit to show him two scars. The only ones I have.
"Despite everything you went through, I truly adore the person you've become.", he states.

My eyes grow bigger and a smile forms on my face. I quickly step closer to him and embrace him. "Thank you, Sebastian. That means a lot." He frees himself from the hug and turns around to have his back facing me. "Sorry, I don't wanna leave you hanging like this but um.. I sort of have a little problem." I grin. "A little problem?" He scoffs at me "shut up", he mumbles. I grab his hand. "Let's just jump into the water. I promise I won't look." He gently nods his head and intertwines his hand with mine, then we both run into the water, finally meeting up with Sam again.

After playing in the water for a couple hours, we head back out to lay around in the sand and enjoy the sun. "So is Sebastian staying with you now, Sam?", I ask, remembering how Seb said he doesn't want to be at home for a little while." Sam opens his mouth "ohh, about that... he won't be able to. Mom, Vince and I are going on a short vacation and we'll leave tomorrow. He's not allowed to stay at my place alone."

I pout at them "Oh no.. I'm sorry". Sebastian shrugs his shoulder. "It's fine, I'll just go back home." All of us stay silent for a bit. Should I let him stay at my place? I don't want him to suffer in his home when he truly doesn't want to be there, but I also don't want him to stay somewhere where he doesn't feel comfortable. It would just be an offer, though. He doesn't have to accept it.

"I have some space for you in my house. You wanna stay with me?", I offer. He quickly turns his head to look at me surprised and Sam smiles. "Ohhh, what's this? Already moving in together?", he states teasingly. Sebastian doesn't react to Sam's comment and simply nods his head. "Yes. I want to.. stay with you.. um, Sami".

I grin at him. I'm glad he said yes. I'm not sure why, but I was terrified he would say no or hate me for making this offer. It's a pointless fear, but I truly do not want to embarrass myself in front of him or anything of that sort. But also, something is weirdly different today. I feel so at ease around him and barely get shy. On the other hand, Sebastian seems a lot clumsier and way more shy than he usually is. Did the roles reverse today?

Either way, I'm excited to have him stay at my place for a while. It seems like such a good opportunity for us to get to know each other even more. I won't be able to stop my feelings from growing stronger and more intense, though. I can already feel the tingles in my stomach again. I didn't react much to Sebastian this entire day, but now that I'm reflecting a bit, it's all sort of hitting me. He has such a nice body. His skin is very pale but it suits him. It looks good with his dark hair and his facial shape and everything. He's not as tall as Sam, but still tall enough for his lips to reach my forehead when we're both standing up straight facing each other. Also, the fact that he got so flustered when I hugged him makes me get butterflies. The way he blushed and turned away, too nervous to face me again.

It makes me want to tease him more.