Chapter 6 - Future dreams

Another day has passed. I was mainly busy with farm work and even went to pay Marnie a visit to ask her if I could adopt a couple chickens in a few days. Shane was there as well. He listened to our conversation, but never said a word. Before I could greet him, he hid inside his room.

I truly don't know what his deal is. Do people actually enjoy being left out and having nobody to talk to? I was forced to live that way, and certainly didn't enjoy it. I don't want anyone else to feel the way I did. Maybe there's something else going on that I don't quite understand. People aren't this grumpy and rude for fun, there's always a reason. A reason they're scared to bring to the surface.

Now here I am. Back in the saloon with Abby, Sam and Seb. Sam is busy singing to some of his favorite songs, while Abby and Seb are seated on the couch, watching him and cheering him on. Sometimes, Sam asks me to try and sing along, other times, I'm left to think by myself. Every now and then, I glance over at the two gloomier ones and notice them linking arms or leaning against each other, however, most of the time it's Abigail taking initiative.

Sebastian doesn't really react, he just tolerates it. I can't help but wonder what their relationship is. From what I've heard, they're only friends, but Sebastian never lets anyone come this close to touching him. They seem to be very close. It wouldn't surprise me if they were crushing on each other.

I take a sip from my coke and look around the bar to see who else was there. Shane is his usual self, chugging one beer after the other whilst staring at the floor. I start to wonder. He seems to be at the saloon by himself every single day, drinking way more than the average human being. Some people have a high tolerance but it's not healthy for anyone to drink this much on a daily basis.

Why am I even worried about him though? He's been so rude to me so far, when I was only trying to be nice. He doesn't exactly deserve to have me acknowledging him, but I can't help it. Suddenly Sam sits down next to me "Hey, do you want a beer now?", I simply shake my head and he pouts. "Why not? You didn't want one last time either... so you never drink?" Before I can reply, Abigail cuts us off "It's her decision, Sam. Don't pressure the girl." He looks at her, then back at me and goes silent.

I hate seeing him like this.. I don't want to make him upset. Should I just try to drink one beer? Would it be fine? I hate drinking, but I don't want them to hate me. For some reason, I look at Sebastian in hopes he could read my thoughts and somehow tell me what to do. Of course he can't. He simply locks eye contact with me for a couple seconds, before looking away again.

"You know, it's fine... I can drink a little today.", I say and Sam jumps up "really?? Alright!"
I sink into the seat, wondering if this is a stupid decision.. but I've already said yes, there's no turning back now. He orders a couple of beers for all of us, and we all just chug away. I try to take it slow at first, but for some reason I think that chugging it down as quickly as possible will make me get out of this situation faster. And it does. At some point, I suddenly pass out.

I open my eyes and rub my head that has already started pounding heavily. "Ouch, I really shouldn't have agreed to that..." I whisper to myself, and then I notice I'm not at the Saloon anymore. I try to look for my plushie, but it isn't there. The sheets don't feel like mine either. I panic for a second, until I quickly turn around to see a bright computer screen and the familiar emo boy in front of it.

I sigh out in relief. I guess they brought me here because I passed out... from drinking.. because I'm stupid and embarrassing like that. I silently face palm, when Sebastian suddenly breaks the silence "Are you sober again?", he asks.
"Well... I can feel all my pain and worries again, so I guess I am." he silently laughs for a split second. I think this was the first time I've ever seen him smile, even if it was only shortly.

"What time is it?", I ask him. It's dark, but since it's always like this in his room, it honestly could be the middle of the day already. He looks at the time "about 11am".
Okay, so I guess I haven't slept for that long. But wait.. if I slept in his bed, then where did he sleep? Or did he sleep at all? Before I can ask him, Robin suddenly knocks on the door and enters the room. I quickly hide under the covers.

"Sebby, dear, your friends want to see you.", she says calmly. "Tell them I'm busy", he replies. "But Sebby, they really want to talk to you. Abigail is there as well, I'll just tell them to come in." She's about to leave the room again, when Sebastian suddenly jumps up from his seat "Mom, no! I said I was busy. I don't want my friends here right now. I don't want anyone here!" his voice sounds so different.

Usually, he's always quiet and sort of just mumbles words to himself. His tone is loud. For the first time, he's actually showing some emotions. "Sebastian, this is ridiculous. You stay inside all day, typing away at your computer. Look at your sister, Maru! She loves helping out in the lab, or going outside to discover nature."

Suddenly, Sebastian slams his hand on the desk "I'm not like Maru! Sorry that I'm such a disappointment to you!" Robin stays silent for a second, then calmly tries to reason with him again "What I'm saying is, your friends are worried about you, yet all you care about is a random piece of technology." "If my friends were actually worried about me, they'd know that I'm busy. Tell them to leave.", he says.

Robin sighs and leaves his room. I come out of my hiding spot and glance at Sebastian.
He sits back down and takes a deep breath.
"Sorry", he says. I sit up straight. "No, it's okay.." we both sit in silence for a couple of seconds, until he begins to speak again "This happens all the time. Nobody understands that I don't just uselessly browse the web all day when I say that I'm busy." I pout and try to look at his screen.

"So.. what are you working on?", I ask him, genuinely curious. He glances at me "I do freelance programming.", he replies, then continues to press random keys on his computer "Oh, so do you also design games and such?" He raises his eyebrows, as if he feels touched that I am actually interested in what he is doing. "Well, that too... though mostly I've been busy doing stuff for other people." Silence fills the room again for a while.

"I want to save up enough money. I want to leave this place and live alone in the city."
I look at him, slightly shocked. "Why is that? What about your friends?" He sighs "They wouldn't miss me anyway. I can't stand having people constantly complain about me and comparing me to others. I'm sick of it. I want to leave and go somewhere where my work is taken seriously." He explains.

"Earlier you said you hate having people around when you're busy." I say. I'm worried that I might be distracting him. I didn't ask to wake up here, and I don't think Sebastian was the one who suggested I should stay at his place. He probably doesn't want me here. "Yeah, well... you're not so bad to have around.", he says, then turns back around to continue his work.

I smile slightly. It makes me feel like he appreciates my presence, but still, I feel somewhat upset. Everyone here assumes that city life is so much better, when it really isn't. Sebastian seems like such a kind person, he doesn't deserve to go through all the pain and suffering I had to go through. I shouldn't care, it's his decision. But for some reason, I want to make him pursue a different dream.

"You know, your friends love you a lot. I'm sure that, if you were to explain what exactly it is you're working as to them, they'd understand. Rejecting them isn't the right way to handle this. They worry about you. They wouldn't have wanted to talk to you, if they didn't."
I get up and walk towards him. Hesitating, whether or not I should put my hand on his arm to comfort him. I do. He flinches for a second, but then relaxes.

"We care about you"