Chapter 13 - party planning

The next morning, I decide to visit Shane in the hospital to see how he's feeling. Harvey greets me warmly and leads me to the patient's room. Shane is sitting at the edge of his bed, putting on his shoes and his jacket. He sees me entering the room and slightly grins. "Oh, hey kid. Didn't expect you to come see me so early" I look at him from top to bottom, trying to see if he's hurting anywhere.

"Everything okay?", I ask him and he nods "Yeah. Though, it wouldn't be, if you hadn't found me. Thanks for that." I sigh in relief. "Oh, Harvey recommended me a counselor in Zuzu City. I'm probably gonna sign up for my first session next week." I smile at him excitedly. He actually did take the offer. I'm glad Shane is finally accepting some help. Hopefully it will help him get better.

"I'm sure it'll help you get back on your feet in no time!" I say. He gets up and pats my head "I wouldn't have been able to build up the courage without you. Thank you for sticking with me. I won't let you down", he says. We lock eye contact, until he suddenly hides behind his hair and turns away "Uh, anyway. I gotta go."

I watch him leave, and quickly head back into the lobby. Harvey seems to be awaiting his next patient already. I look at his calendar. It seems as though Sam has an appointment today. I wonder why? He probably just got hurt while skate boarding. I wonder if Mayor Lewis caught him again and scolded him like last time. I let out a slight giggle.

Suddenly I remember how Sam's birthday is coming up in just a couple days, and I didn't plan anything yet. I swiftly head outside and run to Sebastian's place. Robin immediately lets me in and informs me that Seb is downstairs in his room, as always.
I head into the basement and knock on his door.

He doesn't respond. He usually never does when someone knocks. I simply go in uninvited. He looks up "Oh, hi Sami", he says and gets back to work. I sit down on his bed and glance at his computer. "What are you working on? Your game?", I ask him curiously and he simply nods. "I don't want to interrupt but I have something important to ask you." I say. Without turning away from his screen, he responds "Go ahead, I'm listening."

"It's Sam's birthday soon. What should we do?" Sebastian stops typing on his keyboard for a short period of time to actually think. It seems as though he's just as clueless as I am. He shrugs his shoulders at me "We've never really done much. Usually I just head to his place when it's late to play video games on his birthday".

I pout at him "Maybe we can throw him a surprise party?" According to Sebastian, they've never really celebrated each other's birthdays much. Abigail was never even with them on Sam's birthday. It was only Seb who tried to be there, but he also never figured out anything special to do. "I have a little bit of money and time left, I should be able to drive into town and grab some party supplies tomorrow" I suggest and Seb nods.

I grin at him "I'm definitely gonna grab some party hats for us four" "three", Seb suddenly interrupts. I look at him confused. Did I miscount? Sam, Sebastian, Abby and me. No, it's definitely four. Why did he say three? "Let's not invite Abby", he says. I look at him confused "Why not? She's your friend."

Sebastian sighs "Sure, but it's Sam's birthday. I don't want her around me." he explains "But wouldn't Sam miss her? I mean you guys have always been a trio, so-"
"-please! Just.. don't invite her. Okay?"
I simply nod my head. Why doesn't he want Abigail to come to Sam's birthday party? I thought they were all friends... then again, I don't think Abby and Sam are on the best of terms currently.

But then wouldn't I be the one to say I don't want her around me? Or Sam? Why is Sebastian the one saying it? It seems to be his only wish, though, so I suppose I should grant it for him. I suppose I'll only have to pick up three party hats. A couple balloons also can't hurt.

I jump up and look at Seb. "Then it's settled. I'll grab everything and you'll come to the farm in two days to help me set everything up. Got it?". Seb nods at me. Before I can leave, he stops me "Oh wait!", I turn around. "How's Shane?" He asks me. He's been really curious about Shane lately. I thought he didn't care about him? "He's doing better! He's planning to go to therapy!" I grin. "Oh, cool." He simply replies and continues typing.

A second ago he was so curious, and now he seems like he doesn't care again. I've never met anyone with mood swings quite as severe. I do find it kind of funny, though. When I first met Sebastian, I thought he had zero emotions. I thought he was entirely dead inside, and now he's one of the most interesting people I've ever met in my life.

There's so much depth to his thoughts and his feelings. He has so many ideas but talks about so little. It makes me want to hear more. I feel honored that he opened up to me so much more. It feels like I have a special bond with him. That reminds me; He said he doesn't feel as anxious around me as he does with everyone else. And when he said everyone, he included Sam and Abigail.

What should I think of that? I know how scary it can be to be near people that make you feel uncomfortable, and I rarely ever liked being near anyone. The only person I'm truly comfortable with is Sam, but that's mainly because he's such a kindhearted and easy going person. He turns any awkward situation into a funny experience. But I don't feel romantically attracted to him. He's just someone I would consider my closest friend.

Then what about Sebastian? He seemed extremely nervous while telling me that. As if he was scared I'd react negatively. Does he like me the same way I like Sam, or is there something more to what he was saying? I probably shouldn't be overthinking this, but I can't help it. Even while Sebastian was avoiding me, I couldn't stop thinking about him.

He was in my head all the time, and I fell asleep to the thought of him embracing me again, and when I woke up, I had his scent in my nose. It made me feel comfortable, and when I noticed he was gone, I felt lonely. Whenever he's with me, I feel the urge to just stare and admire him.

I want to appreciate his thick black eyebrows, along with his dark and deep eyes that stare right into my soul. I wish I could brush my hands through his black, fuzzy hair, and feel the warmth of his arms holding me tight. I have no idea why it has to be him. Why can't it be Sam? Or even Shane? Why is it Sebastian out of all people? I wish I had an explanation, but I don't.

All I know is that I've definitely developed feelings for him, but I can't tell him. I doubt he feels the same about me. I doubt he thinks about me even half as much as I think about him. He probably already forgot what our hug felt like, and he most likely doesn't care to remember. I wish he would, though. Deep down inside, I'm hoping he's aching for another embrace just as much as I am.

Abigail hugs him all the time, but he never hugs back. He barely even reacts. He sort of just waits for her to let go again. He definitely doesn't like her like that. It tends to feels forced whenever they're around each other. He offered me a hug first, and he didn't let go. He held me so tight, and I felt so protected. I felt so loved and cared for. I wonder if he intended for that hug to stay imbedded in my mind forever. Because it's been distracting me from my work and it's all his fault. I can't blame him, though. I don't want to blame him.

I enjoyed it too much for me to be mad at him