Chapter 4 - The troublesome trio

Sebastian and I already took our seats in Sam's room, while he's scrambling through the kitchen, trying to find something to snack on. I fidget with my fingers, looking around his room from where I'm seated, trying to avoid eye contact with Sebastian. He was doing the same by simply staring at the table. I don't hate him, but I feel like he hates me. Or maybe he's just not very talkative in general. Sam, however, is trying his hardest to include me in their little group and I appreciate it a lot. I'm just scared I'm incapable of showing him that I'm truly happy to be around them.

He enters the room again, holding up a half empty bag of chips and a few slices of untoasted bread.
"So uh.. we have two options-" suddenly Sebastian and I turn around to face the window, where another figure is climbing in. They jump into the room, and quickly look up with a smile "There you guys are! I brought pizza!", the purple haired girl says. Sam sighs "three options", he mumbles to himself.

Abigail immediately sits next to Sebastian and gives him a hug. "Hey Sebby!" Sebby? That's a new nickname.. and Sebastian doesn't seem like the type of person to enjoy hugs. Are these two a thing? Abigail plops the box of pizza on the table and looks at me "Oh hey Sami! Did Sam drag you here?" I nod my head "Yeah, but.. I like it here, I think." She laughs "Of course you do, why wouldn't you like hanging out with us?" She replies teasingly.

"She doesn't really have anyone else to hang out with, anyway" Sebastian implies and Sam chuckles "He does have a point there. The only other group of friends is Alex and Haley, but you definitely want to keep your distance from them. And Shane.. well.. we already told you about that."
I lower my brows in confusion "Why do I want to keep my distance?" Abigail rolls her eyes "They are annoying", she says. "They're assholes", Sebastian adds. "Alex is a cocky jock. I thought I could escape these types of people in a small village, turns out I was wrong. And Haley.. well.. she seems sweet, but-"
"- she sucks", Sebastian interrupts Sam and takes a bite off his pizza.

I never really met either of them, but I guess I'll take their word for it and try to stay away. I glance at Abigail, then at Sam, then at the pizza "Take one!" She says, and pushes the box further towards me. I slowly lift my hand and grab a slice. "Aren't you hungry?", Sam asks concerned. I shake my head "I am.. but it's been a while since I've eaten anything in front of people", I reply. "Oh, I guess you and your friends were too busy working hard, earning money to live that luxurious life back in the city, right?" I press my lips together and look at the table "Well, something like that, I guess".

Suddenly Abigail leans back, pressing her arms against the table "Aw man, your life must've been so nice! I want to live in the city some day. I'll leave everything behind, and pursue a luxurious city life!", Abigail says. She seems extremely hopeful and determined. She probably thinks that city life is as great as the media makes it seem, but it really isn't. I'd hate to crush her dreams though, so I simply stay silent.

Suddenly she intertwines her arm with Sebastian's "right, Sebby?", she asks him, with a smirk on her face. He simply glances at her, and nods slightly. I guess they might be together. "Are you guys going to run off to the city together?", I ask randomly. I'm genuinely curious, but I probably should've thought this through more before. I'm too new to be so nosy. Sebastian turns his head and looks away, staying entirely silent. Abigail chuckles "You've got to tell me more about the city one day, Sami."

Did they just ignore my question? I probably really shouldn't have asked this. I notice Sebastian slowly trying to free his arm from Abigail. Maybe they aren't together, but I feel like there's something going on with them. "Hey! Should we hang out at the Saloon later?", Sam asks, trying to make the atmosphere less awkward and lead away from my inappropriate question. "Sadly I can't, today", Abigail replies, Sam looks at Sebastian who simply shrugs his shoulders, which I guess means "sure" in his language, then he turns towards me.

I still have a lot of people to meet, and since it seems like the saloon is the spot where they all meet up at the end of the day to chat, it's exactly where I should be going. "I'll come with you", I say. Sam claps his hand excitedly.

A bit of time has passed, I've arrived at the saloon with Sam and Sebastian and quickly examined all of the people there. Some of them came up to me themselves to meet me, others I had to approach. However, there was one person left I still couldn't quite put my finger on. Shane. He's standing right beside the fireplace, chugging one beer after the other. It seems quite impressive to me. He can drink quite a lot. I guess he has a high tolerance.

I don't like to drink. I've never really done it before and I'd prefer to stay away from it. Sam even offered to buy me a beer, but I declined. He seemed a little upset about it at first, but thankfully didn't pressure me to drink one. At first, Sebastian and Sam were playing pool together, and I was watching them. After a while, Sebastian got tired and decided to rest a bit on the red couch whilst Sam was playing arcade games next to him.

I stop watching them, and continue examining Shane. There is something off about him. Everyone else is busy talking and laughing. Everyone has at least someone else to talk to, whilst he is all by himself in the corner drinking beer. He also seems to work at Joja mart, which is technically the biggest nemesis of this town. Maybe he really doesn't have anyone. I mean, Sam told me that Shane doesn't like when anyone approaches him, but I'm sure there's a reason for that. If he really wanted to be left completely alone, he wouldn't want to hang out at such a crowded place.

Suddenly, I feel someone staring at me, and turn around to see Sebastian. His purple eyes are still entirely lifeless as they pierce right through mine.
"What are you thinking?", he suddenly asks me. I pout and try to figure out an answer. "Well, you know.. Just trying to test how much I already know about everyone. To remember their names, and stuff-" He looks at Shane, then back at me "and you've realized you know something about everyone in this room, except him." I nod my head.

"If he wants you to know him, he'll approach you. But that has never happened before. So don't expect too much..."
He says, then turns back away.

After another hour, we all decide to head home. I walk with Sam for a bit, then head home by myself. Walking passed Marnie's farm, I notice a huge river sparkling under the moonlight. This seems like such a nice area to stroll around, I'll make this my regular way back home. I arrive at my house and change into something more comfortable, then lean back on my bed and think about everything that has happened today.

I've almost met every single person in town, even made a couple friends, if I'm allowed to call them that. Maybe Sebastian doesn't hate me as much as I thought he did, because when he had the chance to talk to me alone, he took it. I wonder if he likes Abigail, or if she likes him. Maybe I'm reading too much into that, but I'm really curious. They have a very similar aura, so I feel like they would look good together.

But I'd feel bad for Sam though, he probably needs to third wheel quite often... and I hope I'll get the chance to talk to Shane eventually. People warned me multiple times, but it feels like something is pushing me towards him. He always gets my attention somehow. That has to mean something.

It's like the world wants me to talk to him