ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝟚𝟘

"I got you something," Miguel says suddenly. The Ferris Wheel has started moving down and the first stars are popping out into the sky. 

"You did?" I say, feeling warmth spread throughout my body. He nods and blushes as he reaches into his pocket and pulls out a small box. 

"Here," He gives it to me and bites his lip. "Go ahead, open it."  I can't control the pitter patter of my heart as I hold the box gently and take off the lid. 

A slip of paper stares up at me. Underneath is a beautiful golden necklace with a charm of a crescent moon inside of a sun. I gasp and touch the symbol. 

"Read the paper," Miguel says nervously. I unfold the it. 

Gigi, put on this necklace and make a wish.

want you to know that like the sun and the moon you make the world a brighter place. I want you to have this necklace as a reminder that your  spirit, and your love are my everything .

I know that was kinda cheesy, but I just wanted to say that. I hope you have the magical, special birthday that you deserve. 

love,

your friend Miguel 

Tears spring to my eyes as I read his note. No one, absolutely no one has ever said anything to me like that before. I can't utter a word. I just look up at Miguel and wipe away a tear. 

"Thank  You," I say when I find my voice. "I love it," 

Miguel's smile says it all. He blushes the reaches over to help me put on the necklace. I turn my back to him and shiver as his fingers brush the back of my neck. He places my hair aside and clasps the necklace together. 

"There," He whispers. His breath tickles my neck and my stomach turns over. I turn back to him. 

"I am," I say. He looks confused so I add. "My birthday. This is better than anything I could have ever imagine," 

"Really?" Miguel asks. I nod

"It's perfect," I say then I lean forwards and kiss him. 

He kisses me back. 

This time it's different then when we were in the tent. We both know it. His lips are soft and smooth and I feel like I have risen into the sky. I am floating. 

He chose me. He chose me and I chose him. 

And it's magical, really really magical. 

***

We meet up with Sadie and Victoria and head over towards the bumper cars. When they saw us, together, wobbling off of the Ferris Wheel and staring dreamily into each other's arms, they whooped and hollered. 

"Finally!" Sadie said. "Took you long enough."

Now she and Victoria can't help smiling and looking at us. 

"Nice necklace," Victoria says as we climb into the bumper cars. I blush. 

"Thank you!" I say giggling. Miguel smiles and climbs into the purple car I am in and sits next to me. 

"You ready for this?" he says.  I nod. 

"Yes, more than ever," I tell him. The rides buzzes to life and I start to steer the car. Victoria and Sadie are in their own car coming straight at us. 

"Watch it!" Miguel screeches. I swerve out of the way and then hit their car on the side. Sadie cries out and we all burst out laughing.

"Got you!" I yell. Then I dodge out of the way when Victoria tries to hit me back. Miguel chuckles. 

"Guess all those time of running away to the bumper cars instead of going on the roller coasters paid off," He says. "Your a pro," I look at him and grin. 

"Maybe," I say. Just then a car hits us on the side and I fall crashing into him. 

"Careful!" Miguel says helping me up and steering us out of the way of another attack.

It is in that moment, when we are all laughing and yelling and joking around that I realize that maybe life is not so bad after all. 

I don't have Alex, but maybe I don't need him. Not when I have the most amazing friends in the world and not when I have Miguel. 

I don't what we are. Miguel and I. But I do know that I don't care. We are still figuring things out, but we are figuring them out together and that's what counts. 

Life isn't perfect, it's full of twists and turns and ups and downs. Sometimes good and sometimes bad. But after this stranger and wonderful week I finally realize that I was holding on to Alex, and maybe all I needed to do was let go. 

***

Later that night as the four of us lie down on blankets laughing and chatting I see it. 

A shooting star. 

But for the first time in years, I don't wish for Alex. I wish for something else. And although I know he will always have a place in my heart, I also know that this is the first step. 

The first step to finally letting go. 

𝕋𝕙𝕖 𝔼𝕟𝕕