Chapter 41

STUPEFIED

The drive back to Harry's apartment was practically silent as the radio was playing quietly in the background, but hardly any words were spoken between the pair.

There were many things to talk about, Noah and Harry both knew that, but neither of them could bring themselves to broach the topics. Harry figured that he would rather get everything sorted out with Anthony first before he even thought about having an important talk with Noah. Noah knew Harry well, so she already knew that he would want to wait to talk, so she didn't push anything.

Though Noah was more alert than before, she still felt quite tired due to the events of the day. She finally had a moment to sit and take in everything that happened as the outside world passed by through the car's windows.

I was practically kidnapped tonight. I was held hostage at knifepoint. I had to get stitches for a cut on my neck. Harry got hurt too. I stabbed Anthony. Oh, fuck. I stabbed someone.

Not only was Noah trying to come to terms with the reality of what Anthony had done to her, but she had to come to terms with what she had done to him. Suddenly, the reality that she had stabbed someone set in. Yes, she had smashed a glass over someone's head in a bar for getting too handsy once, which Harry had also witnessed, but that had only done surface damage. Now, she had literally jammed a knife deep into someone's thigh.

Of course it was in self defense and Anthony was nowhere near an innocent person, but the fact that Noah carried through with the action made her feel somewhat guilty. She had never thought she was capable of such a thing.

Before she had another moment to think herself into a panicked spiral, Harry said, "we're here."

Noah hadn't even noticed that they made it back to Harry's apartment. When she finally focused and looked outside, she noticed the police cars and officers that were lingering around. She took a deep breath and looked over at Harry, seeing him already looking at her.

"We're just gonna tell them the truth, okay?" Harry said, seeing Noah looking uncharacteristically nervous.

"You don't think there will be any consequences for you being a part of the ring for so long?"

That question had been on Harry's mind for a while, but he hadn't yet said it out loud. He could only hope that his involvement in getting Anthony arrested would cancel out his involvement with the ring. Given that all of this happened because he fled Anthony's hold, Harry figured that would provide enough evidence as to why he was at the ring for so long, since it was dangerous to try to escape.

"I'll deal with whatever happens. Let's get this over with."

Without another word, Harry climbed out of the car and walked around to Noah's side, opening the door for her and helping her out, too. When they were both on the pavement, Harry glanced around and saw Ray talking to a police officer, so he led Noah in that direction.

Ray noticed them as they were a few steps away, and let out a sigh of relief seeing that they both seemed to be okay, despite the bandaging on Noah's neck.

"Here they are," Ray said to the cop, motioning a hand to the pair as they approached.

After that, the cop launched into the whole process of documenting everything necessary. Pictures were taken of their injuries, which led to them discovering bruises across Noah's collarbones, shoulders, and arms due to Anthony's aggressive hold on her. Harry's teeth clenched tightly in frustration at that.

Harry was dragged away by another cop to give his statement while Noah gave hers to a different cop. They were asked questions mainly about exactly what had transpired that night, but some questions naturally served to figure out how they got to that point with Anthony. The pair had been informed that Ray and Mateo had already addressed and presented the evidence of the drug dealing operation Anthony was running, so the cops were aware of that aspect.