Chapter 13

SHATTERED

Noah knew that she wasn't a clingy person.

Noah knew that even though she was sitting in her bed, staring at her phone screen with intense concern, she wasn't a clingy person.

Harry had told Noah that he would call her after he got home. He let her know that he was staying late to practice, but he would be home around midnight.

It was past 2AM.

Though Noah wanted to just assume that Harry had fallen asleep as soon as he got home and had forgotten to call her, something was telling her that something was very wrong. She glanced through her last messages with him, willing him to respond.

Harry (11:28PM): Probably heading home in a bit. Still want me to call you when I'm there? I know it's late.

Noah (11:28PM): yes please! i miss your voice too much

Harry (11:29PM): Miss yours too, munchkin. I'll call you in a bit.

Noah (11:30PM): can't wait bub :)

          (12:19AM): you home yet handsome?

          (1:07AM): did you pass out before calling me? offended tbh

          (2:16AM): okay, i'm kind of worried but i'm just gonna assume you're asleep. call me as soon as you see this though, please?

Sprinkled in between those texts were also three total missed calls.

Again, Noah knew she wasn't a clingy person, but something just wasn't right. Harry's career, especially, made her mind run wild with possible thoughts of what could have happened. For her own sake, though, she chose to believe that Harry had fallen asleep. That was the most likely situation, anyway.

With that thought in her head, she managed to slowly drift off to sleep.

-

Noah didn't sleep well at all. She was in and out of sleep for hours until she finally gave up all together around 7AM. When she checked her phone, there were still no notifications from Harry. That made her heart drop a little, but she also realized that it was super early so he might have just been still asleep. Nevertheless, she decided to call him again.

His phone rang a few times before someone picked up. An unknown person's voice filled her ears, making her heart drop even more as she sat up in bed, "hey, is this Noah?"

"Um... who's this?"

Harry had told Ray that Noah knew all about his career, so Ray didn't feel he needed to hide anything, "Ray, Harry's boxing coach. Are you Noah? Unless Harry has someone else in his life blowing up his phone with the contact name 'Munchkin.'"

Noah felt her stomach fizzle at the fact that Harry had her in his phone as his precious nickname for her, but she was too worried to let that fully set in. "Yeah, I'm Noah. Where's Harry?"

Ray cleared his throat and simply said, "I think you should come to the hospital."

That made Noah's stomach turn upside down and cause a rancid feeling to flood through her entire body. A month and a half of knowing Harry and she was already about to lose her shit. "Hospital? Is he okay? What happened? Which hospital?"

"Long story short, he got jumped last night. Come to the main hospital in town and I'll explain more, okay? I'll be waiting in the lobby."

About thirty minutes later, after Noah got dressed in whatever random clothing she found around her room, she walked into the lobby of the hospital, frantically looking around for Ray, a man she had never seen before.