Chapter 36

CONTROL

"Yeah, that sounds good. Alright, thanks, boss. I'll be sure to let him know," Ray said, about to leave Anthony's office after discussing an upcoming fight for the new fighter he was assigned to train.

"Oh, Ray," Anthony said, catching his attention just before he could open the door. Ray turned around to return his gaze back to Anthony. "I ran into your little friend at the farmer's market the other day."

Ray frowned in confusion, having no idea who Anthony was talking about. He was about to ask exactly who it was, but then things started clicking in his brain. He remembered Harry mentioning that Noah had gotten Harry a booth at a farmer's market because she worked there sometimes, so the answer was obvious.

Rather than letting Anthony know that he knew, Ray decided to play dumb. "Little friend?"

"The pretty little thing that was here a couple months ago. Noah, was it?"

As Ray's fears were confirmed, he simply cleared his throat and offered a terse smile before he simply responded with, "oh?

Anthony nodded enthusiastically, "yes, it was nice to actually have a real chat with her."

That comment made Ray nervous. He wasn't sure exactly what it meant. Did he physically harm Noah or something? Is that why he was making these comments? Or were they subtle threats to let Ray know that Anthony knew more about Noah than he led on and was seeking her out?

"Happy to hear that," was all Ray could think to say in response.

A sinister smile made its way onto Anthony's face right before he said, "well, good work with the new guy. Keep it up," then gestured his hand to the door of his office to signal that he was ready for him to exit.

Ray simply nodded once and turned around, leaving the office as fast as he could without it being suspicious.

Later that night, as Ray was driving home from the ring, he used the bluetooth in his car to dial Harry's number.

"Hey," Harry said when he picked up, sounding kind of out of breath.

"Hey, what are you so out of breath for?" Ray asked with a laugh.

Harry cleared his throat and replied with, "I was working out."

Ray jokingly scoffed and said, "yeah, sure, 'working out.' You putting that right hand to work now that you're without your girlfriend?"

That statement was not what Harry was expecting to hear, so he nearly choked on the water that he had just drank after hearing it. "What the fuck, dude. No. I really was working out."

"Yeah, sure, let's go with that."

Harry released a groan of annoyance but didn't bother to play along with Ray's games, so he quickly changed the subject. "Anyway. Why'd you call?"

"Oh, right, that," Ray started, "it's about your girl again."

Those words caused Harry to freeze and instantly start rubbing his forehead in stress.

"What happened? Is she okay?"

Ray cleared his throat before he answered with, "uh, I haven't spoken to her myself so I don't know how she's doing, but Anthony told me that he bumped into her at the farmer's market the other day."

There was no stopping Harry's eyes from instantly closing as his head dropped forward, feeling his whole body flood with anxiousness.

"Fuck. Did he say anything about it?"