Epilogue, pt. 2

UPWARD

Harry was stressed.

He never considered himself a good gifter, but he managed to get by every year. Most of his gifts were handmade gifts: a large resin stingray-designed table for the kids' playroom, cute resin barrettes with different colors and fillers that were mainly for Cody when she was younger, but also some simpler ones that were for Noah.

This time, however, he had no idea what to get. He felt like a horrible husband in the fact that, after fifteen years of marriage, it seemed as if Harry had run out of present ideas for Noah's birthday.

That was why he was roaming around the outdoor mall with four kids in tow, all in search of presents for Noah's upcoming forty-second birthday in just over a week. The kids were all looking for a present of their own to give to their mom, and Harry was looking for his own inspiration.

As they looked around some fancy jewelry store, quite obviously striking out with how often they quickly skipped over the vast array of clunky jewelry. Noah enjoyed simple jewelry, and the store simply did not provide that.

"Y'know, mom loves all the handmade stuff instead of this flashy stuff," Leo said, feeling bored from how long they had been looking for a gift.

River nodded and offered a simple, "yup, he's absolutely right."

"I know," Harry sighed, looking up from the case of fancy watches he was looking in. "But what handmade things can you guys make for her?"

Leo shrugged as he glanced over at his two youngest siblings a few steps away, making sure they were accounted for and not causing any trouble. "What kind of things did you use to make her?"

Deciding the jewelry store was a bust, Harry, River, and Leo began to walk to the exit, while motioning for Cody and Owen to follow.

"Lots of resin things. She might be sick of them by this point," Harry let out a laugh.

Thinking for a moment as the five of them once again walked through the outdoor shopping center, a lightbulb suddenly went off in Harry's head.

"Oh my god," he gasped as he came to a stop in the walkway, causing his kids to stop, too, as they stared at him in confusion.

River was holding Owen's hand to make sure he didn't wander off, and Cody and Leo simply watched their dad with raised eyebrows as they awaited his revelation.

"You know how your mum has been wanting a special porch swing?"

"Uh huh..." Leo trailed off, still unsure where his dad was going with this. After all, it didn't exactly sound like a present that involved the kids.

"Okay," Harry started, "so, what if we go to my store and I'll get started on making a custom porch swing for your mum, and you can all design a pillow each that will go on it, too, so it's even more special."

River and Cody were smiling quite a bit, excited at the idea of finally having a porch swing. Cody was also excited to get to design a pillow.

"I love it," she said, nodding enthusiastically.

Nodding, too, just much less aggressively than Cody, River said, "yeah, she'll love it. She's been wanting one forever."

Leo was about to respond to his father when his eyes focused on something behind Harry's shoulder, causing Leo's eyes to widen and his cheeks to instantly turn red.

"Oh my god, oh my god," Leo muttered as he moved a little to shield himself with Harry's larger frame and seemed to fold in on himself.

Harry, concerned, asked, "what's going on, bud?"