Chapter 9 - Deal?

Ruby POV

I was actually happy again. Even though my father couldn't leave the hospital, I was glad they saved him. It's been a bout a week since then and I haven't talked to Otis much. I didn't go to school this week which the school understood but I still missed Otis. I really wished I could've told him I liked him but luckily I still have the chance. I don't know when we're gonna hang out next, but we still sit next to each other in class. Now that it was a new week, I had to go back to school.

When I walked to my locker at the beginning of the day like usual, I saw Maeve staring at me. But it wasn't a rude stare. It was kind of sympathetic in a way. I was going to walk over until Otis came from behind me.

O - "Hey, Ruby."
R - "Hey, Otis. Um, do you know why Maeve is staring at me?"
O - "No. Anyways, do you have any plans later?"

I could tell he was nervous and it looked like he needed to tell me something. It was weird but I just moved on.

R - "Not really. I would've probably seen my dad if I wasn't busy."
O - "So, do you want to come to mine after school?"
R - "Oh. Sure."
O - "Alright, bye. See you later."

We hadn't seen each other the rest of the day. We usually see each other. But we still saw each other for last period. It wasn't necessarily awkward but there was definitely some kind of tension. While I was gone, I did a lot of thinking. I knew that I liked Otis but I also knew that I couldn't do anything about it. And if i'm being sincere, he wasn't very good at sex. But while I was thinking, I thought that maybe the only reason I like him, was that he relieved some of my sexual tension. And I also know it's kind of shallow of me to do what I'm about to do. But I have to be honest to him.

We didn't talk for the rest of the day. But we left class together. As we walked past Maeve, she started talking.

M - "Hey. Do you mind if I steal Ruby for a minute?"
O - "Um, sure."

We walked a few feet away but enough to where he couldn't hear us.

M - "I know that Otis likes you. And he said that he was gonna tell you today. But I know him really well. He won't. So, just in case, if he does tell you. Be honest to him?
R - "Um, yeah. Of course."

I walked back in Otis' direction and knew what I had to do when we got to his house.

We got there. He sat me down on his bed. As much as I wanted to tell him that I liked him, I couldn't.

O - "So, Ruby. There was something I wanted to tell you."
R - "Otis. Let me go first. I like you. But I'm not sure if I like you like that. I'm attracted to you and you're always so nice to me. But I want us to be the people who can share each other's secrets and then have sex without labeling it as anything. I don't think I can deal with anything serious right now."
O - "Oh. Well, I guess I see your point. So you mean kind of like friends with benefits?"
R - "Best friends with benefits. Deal?"
O - "Deal."

It was an awkward silence for a while.

R - "So you wanted to tell me something?"
O - "Nothing important."

More silence.

O - "Are you sure about this, Ruby?"
R - "Positive."
O - "Because, this type of thing usually never wor-"

I was tired of him talking so I cut him off with a kiss.

R - "Still not sure?"

He smiled and kissed me again. We didn't need to say anything. We knew what was about to happen. And we both wanted it so bad.

(Would you guys want the smut for future chapters? I've never tried it before and i'd probably be bad but i can try if you guys want.)