Chapter 7 - seven days pt. 1

Otis POV

Ruby had told me she wouldn't be coming to school this week which I did understand but I knew how much I would miss her. Even though we had only been this close for around a week, we were very close. But during the first few days after the hospital, I realized how much I had been shutting Eric out. And my mum. So I thought of inviting Eric to my house for dinner with my mum where I could just tell them more.

O - "Hey, man."
E - "Hey. Wasn't expecting you to call. Where you been man?"
O - "Can you come over later? I'll tell you and my mum everything."
E - "Um, yeah. I'll be over at 5:30"

That wasn't really surprising as he loves my mum's dinners. I let my mum know that he was coming over which she obviously allowed.

1 hour later

Eric was here now. I was really nervous to spill everything going on in my life but I think they deserve to know what I've been doing recently. Eric knows I've been with Ruby but he doesn't know that I like her yet. I'll tell my mom as well but only if she promises to not get invasive. We all got set up at the table. It started off silent but very relaxed. Eric was clearly awkward and my mum was confused. I knew they wanted me to talk first so I did but I didn't really know what to say. After a few seconds I spoke up.

O - "I'm sorry."
Jean - "For what, darling?"
O - "For shutting you both out recently. I know how much we usually tell each other but I've been really confused this past week."
E - "Is this about Ruby?"
J - "Ruby? The girl who stayed over the night of your party?"
O - "Yeah. So. Ruby and I have been hanging out for about a week and we've gotten really close."
J - "Do you like her? Because you've only recently broken up with Ola. It could be unhealthy to rush things too soon."
E - "And I don't think your completely over Maeve."
O - "You're right. But things feel different with her. When I see her, I feel things that I never have but it's so powerful."
E - "Look, man. I don't want you getting hurt but isn't she like really mean?
O - "I don't know. At school with Olivia and Anwar, she's completely different. When we're alone, I can see who she really is. She's really nice."
J - "I don't want to get too involved but please be careful. If you do have sex...
O - "Mum!"
E - "Hahahahaha."
J - "Make sure to use protection. I don't want you to do anything harmful to your life, Otis."
O - "Ok, Mum."
E - "Can we at least hang out soon? Unless you have plans obviously."
O - "Oh. Yeah. Ruby won't be at school this week so you have me all to yourself for a while."
E - "Yes! Great."

We continued to eat for an hour until we all finished. Eric could've stayed the night but he said he plans tomorrow with Rahim or Adam which I'm still confused about. My mum said she could give him a ride home to which Eric agreed. When they were gone I wanted to text Ruby but I didn't want to bother her. I could've texted Ola but seemed weird. So I texted Maeve. Just to see how she was. But now after that phone call, we are hanging out tomorrow which seemed odd but I wasn't mad about it. As much as I like Ruby, I really care about Maeve. Obviously. I still don't know what is going on with her and Isaac but hopefully we can talk more tomorrow. I decided to get to bed a bit early since I had little to do.

8 AM

I opened my eyes as I awoke from the sounds of early morning birds and cars setting off for work. The thought that I was gonna hang out with Maeve set in and I started to stress. I knew how much I liked Ruby and I felt like I'd be betraying her by hanging out with another girl. But then I realized, Ruby doesn't know I like her. She probably doesn't like me. So what's the point in stressing. I got ready for school and was saddened by the fact that Ruby wasn't at her locker today. But I managed. Still a boring day for the rest though. Especially my last period. I missed Ruby so much but it was really weird considering she'd only be gone for a week. But I still really wanted her to be able to come but I understood that she couldn't. After a long class, the end of school bell rang. I met up with Maeve outside of school as we trekked along the path leading to my home.