Chapter 6 - Hold On

M - "Ruby?"
R - "Mom? Dad?"
M - "Oh my God, Ruby. Your dad is gonna be fine."
R - "He still looks kind of dead, Mum."
M - "He's sleeping. He can't talk but he will soon. How did you get here so quick?
R - "My friend took me."
M - "Do you want to stay here until I leave? Or go back with your friend?"
R - "I'll stay but I'm gonna go find him."
M - "Him?"
R - "What? No."

I ran out to find Otis but he was talking to someone. Maeve. Why was she here?

R - "Hey."
O - "Is everything okay in there?"
R - "Yeah, he's sleeping. Anyways, thanks for giving me a ride here. I'm gonna stay here so you don't have to wait any longer."
O - "Ok. I'm glad everything's good."

I walked away but turned back to do something very important. I ran and hugged Otis tight.

R - "Bye, Otis."

With that, I planted a kiss on his cheek. I saw Maeve's reaction which did kind of make it better. I walked away to see my parents.

Otis POV

Wow. I didn't expect her to do that. Especially not in front of Maeve. But I'm not complaining.

M - "Why are you two even here?"
O - "Ruby's dad."
M - "What were you doing before you got here?"
O - "Just hanging out at her house. What are you here for?"
M - "Oh, I saw you on your bike and got worried."

I could tell Maeve was nervous. She seemed kind of jealous as well.

M - "Do you like Ruby?"
O - "I don't know."

It was an awkward silence for about 30 seconds.

O - "Why do you care?"
M - "Because I care about you."
O - "What about Isaac?"
M - "What about him?"
O - "Do you like him?"
M - "I guess I do. He's a really nice guy."
O - "Are you dating him?"
M - "No but I think I want to."
O - "Oh."
M - "Do you want to date Ruby?"
O - "Um, I don't know if I could. She's popular, gorgeous, nice.."
M - "Nice? Do you know how many times she's called me cock biter? If she's nice than I'm the nicest person on Earth."
O - "Maeve. I understand that what she did to you wasn't okay but if you give her a chance she's really sweet.
M - "Of course she is. Look. Im getting worried that you're gonna be heartbroken and I'm not gonna save you when she hurts you."
O - "Leave me where I'm at now with her. I listened to your lies for months and I don't know if you want to save me.
M - "Of course I want to save you. I don't trust her. She has you wrapped around her finger and now my mind is filled with emotions. But if you really like her, than you decide what to do. But trust me that she's dangerous.
O - "But how do you know that? You barely know her. She has never done anything to prove that she's 'dangerous' to me. It's not that hard to build a bond with someone no matter what they've done to your friends."
M - "So you like her even though she's bullied me for years?"
O - "That isn't the Ruby I know."
M - "Just because she's nice to you doesn't make her a good person. You probably only like her because she took your virginity and you're desperate."

I took a deep breath in and chuckled quietly. The fact she said that is funny.

M - "Fuck. Otis. I didn't mean that. I'm sorry."
O - "Nah, it's fine. Honestly.
M - "Anyways, I have to go. Bye, Otis.