Chapter 3: Helpful

R - "Oh my god. I think I'm going on a date."
Olivia - "What's so special?"
R - "I actually want to go. I don't wanna go to get laid or date a guy for a week. I actually really want to hang out with them."
O - "Who?"

I didn't know what to say. I don't think Liv would approve of Otis. I have to change the subject.

R - "How's Malek?"
O - "He's fine. Now, answer the question Ruby."
R - "I can't tell you yet."
O - "You know I won't judge you."
R - "It's not about that. I don't even know if they like me like that. It's not really a date. Just hanging out. I'll tell you if it goes well."

I hugged her and walked away. I knew I had to text Otis but I had no clue what to say. Maybe calling it off is the best plan but I couldn't do that. I asked if he was free tomorrow and he said yes. We agreed to meet after school and to see where we wanted to go.

Otis POV

I was really hoping she didn't think of this as a date. As much as I wished it was, I barely know her. Maybe in the future it could be a date but I need to figure out my feelings. I decided not to tell Eric about this yet just because I don't fully understand it either.

The Next Day

Just like yesterday, we passed each other in the hallways. Same smile, same feeling. I was kind of hoping she would sit next to me in class today. We'll see.

I saw her walk through the doors of my class and almost prayed she would sit next to me. I saw her facial expression change when she saw me alone. So, when she sat next to me, it felt like pity.

Ruby POV

I was ecstatic. The seat next to him was open and I gladly accepted it. We could just leave the school together since this was our last class. Like yesterday, we made eye contact a lot. But this time, the feeling in my stomach never went away. It just stood still. I was so lost in my thoughts that Otis had to tap me on the shoulder to tell me class was over.

R - "Oh shit I'm sorry"
O - "It's okay really"

We both went to our lockers separately but met up at the front doors of school. He handed me the helmet like the gentleman he is.

O - "You ready?"
R - "Yes, Otis."
O - "So, where do you want to go?"
R - "Anywhere. A restaurant, your house, my house. Anywhere."
O - "Maybe we could go to the forest."

I smiled as I nodded my head. I pulled my arms around him and snuggled into him.

10 minutes later

We arrived and I took off the helmet. I put it down on the bike as I stepped off. We walked over to the log from the other day. As much as it was awkward, I was so happy. We just sat and watched the sky for a few minutes until Otis broke the silence.

O - "How's your dad?"
R - "Oh. Um, he's not well."
O - "I'm really sorry, Ruby. Really."
R - "Thanks, Otis"

We sat in silence again. But this time I broke the silence.

R - "I'm going to ask you something. You have to answer truthfully. Okay?"
O - "Yeah, okay."
R - "Why'd you bring me here?"
O - "Um, I just really enjoyed being with you when we here last time. I thought we should do it again. Why?"
R - "Are you in love with Maeve?
O - "Yes. Completely."
R - "Then why are you here with me and not her?"
O - "She's really angry with me. I tried apologizing. Didn't work. I wanted to confess my love but I didn't want to seem desperate."
R - "So? If you love her that much, you
have to prove it to her. She told you that she loves you. She probably still does."
O - "But you hate her. Why would you want her to be with me?"
R - "Because I want you to be happy. If you're in love with someone, I want you to be with them."
O - "What if she breaks my heart?"
R - "I'll be here. If you need."
O - "Do you think she likes that guy from the party. The guy in the wheelchair."
R - "Oh, I don't know. That shouldn't matter if she loves you."
O - "Should I just ask her out or tell her that I love her?"
R - "Just tell her you love her."
O - "Thanks, Ruby."

It started getting dark so we decided to get home. As we got to my house, Otis said he was going to the caravan park to meet Maeve.

R - "Good luck, Otis."

He clicked his helmet strap and drove off. That was really hard. But I had to put him before me. If he was in love with Maeve, he deserves her.