Part 10 - New Beginnings

Otis POV

Ever since Ruby and I have talked, it's been pretty simple. We still talk all the time, we flirt a little bit, and we have sex if we feel like it. We both understand what we're doing and it feel right. Obviously I still have feelings for her romantically but she clearly doesn't want to be in a relationship right now. I still haven't told Maeve or Eric because I don't know how they'll react. I'm going to tell Maeve when I see her at school today.

As I walked through the halls, everything felt normal. But when I saw Maeve, I got nervous. I know she really wanted me to talk to Ruby about how I felt and I feel like telling her what happened might disappoint her.

M - "Otis!"
O - "Hey, Maeve"
M - "So, how'd it go with Ruby?"
O - "Do you promise to not be mad?"
M - "Maybe."
O - "Well, I was about to tell her how much I liked her until she told me that she didn't want to date me but she wanted to be friends."
M - "Friends?"
O - "With Benefits"
M - "Otis. How are you going to have a fuckbuddy if you've only had sex once?"
O - "It's not just that. We're like best friends that have sex."
M - "So, best friends with benefits?"
O - "Basically."
M - "Did you tell her that you like her at least?"
O - "I told you. She cut me off before I could. But I feel like she knew somehow."
M - "I'm sorry. I told her before you guys left. I didn't think you'd actually tell her."
O - "Oh. It's fine actually. It would've been the same either way. I just wish you'd trust me to actually do it."
M - "You're right. I'm sorry but you do have a history of not being the most upfront person."
O - "I guess that's true."
M - "So, how many times have you guys actually had sex?"
O - "What?"
M - "We can talk about that can't we?"
O - "I guess... We've only done it twice but we've only established this a few days ago."
M - "We'll talk later, okay?"
O - "Sure, bye"

We walked away from each other. That went surprisingly good. Now, Eric is coming over later tonight. He will be excited that i've begun something with a girl but he'll be disappointed we aren't dating. I still don't know completely if I want a relationship but i'm not opposed to the idea. I've never been in a relationship before but she seems like someone who wouldn't be terrible to date. We still have a lot to figure out but for now, i'm just going with the flow of things.

Ruby POV

I wanted to tell Otis the the truth about how I feel but I can't. Not yet at least. A relationship after what happened to my dad is just not possible. I know that I like Otis and would love to date him someday. Just not yet. He didn't actually tell me that he liked me but I don't think Maeve would've lied. But people have been acting kind of weird around me recently and I have no clue why.

R - "Hey, Eric."
E - "Hi?"
R - "I know that you're going to Otis' house later. Whatever he tells you, don't be disappointed in him."
E - "I won't be but why would I be?"
R - "Look. Just don't be mad."
E - "Ok. I won't get mad."
R - "Ok. Bye, Eric."

He was confused. Really confused but I don't blame him. I just don't want Eric to mad because Otis is actually doing something with someone else besides Eric. But Eric seems fine recently since me and Otis have been spending time together. I'm sure they'll be fine. But part of me wants Otis to be hurt so i can comfort him. That's selfish but I like feeling that Otis knows he can talk to me. I want him to know i'm here for him but I can't show him that if he never actually needs me.

Otis POV

O - "Me and Ruby are having sex. Like, normally."
E - "But you aren't dating?"
O - "No. We have sex but also are like best friends."
E - "So pretty much dating? Otis. I don't care if you are spending time with someone else. As long as we're still best friends."
O - "What do you mean by pretty much dating?"
E - "Most couples have sex, comfort each other, watch movies, go out. Which is basically what you're doing."
O - "You're not wrong."

Eric had to leave shortly after that but this made me think. Are me and Ruby basically dating? Because if we are, i'd rather be certain. I'm going to sleep on it and decide whether or not I should ask Ruby to be my girlfriend.