[ seven ]

Percy walks in with Hazel, and I hide a smirk at the sight of his hair

Percy walks in with Hazel, and I hide a smirk at the sight of his hair. Seaweed Brain.

Luke and I go back to the table, drinks in tow, and we slide in next to Hazel. She's flushed, talking to Frank about this and that.

Luke is uncomfortably close to me, but I try to ignore it. I start talking to Percy, but after a minute, he looks away and starts talking to Jason and Piper.

What did I do wrong?

I awkwardly sit in the booth, well aware of the fact that I'm the odd one out. Everyone is talking but me.

Luckily, after a few minutes, the pizza arrives. I'm saved from having to insert myself into a conversation, because all talking ceased once we got food on our plates.

After the pizza is mostly gone, Percy pulls a bag of blue jelly beans out of his pocket, a gleam in his eye. I laugh, fully aware of Percy's love for blue candy.

"Okay, food for thought. Do we ever stop clapping, or is there just a longer amount of time in between claps?" It's Leo, of course. This isn't anything different than what he normally says, but I can still hear Luke groan next to me. I know it won't be long before he'll be dragging me out.

I can see everyone's brains turning, but I zone out. Per usual, I'm right. Not even a minute later, Luke is grabbing my hand, pulling me up.

"Let's go back to my place."

I plaster a smile on my face and grin. Grabbing my bag, I can see Piper trying to catch my eye, so I look at her. She mouths be safe.

My sense of dread growing, I flash her a bright smile. Luke drags me out, and as the door swings closed, I see Percy's face.

He's frowning, an odd look in his eyes.

I ignore him. I'm too scared to figure out what his look means.

"God, I hate them. 'Is cereal a soup?'" Luke imitates Percy, his voice nasally and high.

"Luke, stop. They're just trying to have fun."

"I thought you didn't like him. He's not your type, right?"

I bite back an aggressive remark and lean back against the seat.

"Can we please just go?"

Luke rolls his eyes, but puts his pickup truck into drive and pulls out of his space.

We get to his house ten minutes later, and silently make our way in. I know he's mad at me, but I'm mad at him too.

He stomps up to his room, and I go into the kitchen. I grab a cup and fill it with water. I'm startled before I can take a sip, though.

"May! Are you okay?" May is Luke's mother. After his dad left, she was a little unsteady. She insisted she was fine. But now, after he's been gone years and years, and Luke's practically had to raise himself, she's still not quite sane. I'm worried that he snapped something in her.

"Annabeth? Do you want a sandwich? I'm so unprepared. I didn't know Lukey was having friends over." May's in a bathrobe, her hair all over the place. I don't know the last time she brushed it, or showered, or even ate. I wish Luke looked after her a little more, but he has a lot on his plate. Besides, it's not his job. He deserves to be a kid every once and awhile.

"I'm good May. Do you want me to make you anything? When was the last time you ate?"

"Oh. I can't remember. I'm sure I'm fine deary. I'm going to do a bit of baking."

"Do you want help?" I can hear the tv turn on in Luke's room, and I internally groan. We just did a movie night.

"Annabeth! Come on up!" Luke screams down from his bedroom, and I sigh. Sending a small smile to May, I climb the rickety old staircase.

Opening the door to his room, I take in the mess. Clothes are everywhere; jeans, t-shirts, sweatshirts, football gear. He has textbooks and papers scattered near his desk, and hair stuff and body gel spilling out of the bathroom cabinets.

I make my way over to his bed, where he's huddled under the blankets. He looks years younger, carefree, and happy. I slide in next to him, and Luke wraps an arm loosely around my waist.

I'm not sure what we watched, but it wasn't good. Luke was dozing off by the end of it, although I'm not sure how with the amount of screaming there was.

"I love you, Annabeth," his words are a whispered confession, fluttering into my ear. I used to feel special when he said that, believing that no one could love me. Certainly no one could love me the way I loved him.

Now, I know he loves me. I just don't love him.

"Say it back."

"What?"

"Say it back. Say you love me."

"I- Uh." I swallow, my breaths coming quick. Calm down.

"Just say it. Godamnnit, Annabeth." He smacks his bed, the sound sending me flying.

"I'm sorry. God, I'm sorry. Come here." His anger is gone as soon as it came, replaced by a sleepy tone. I no longer know which ones an act.

He grabs my wrist and gently pulls me forward, bringing me into his arms. It's comforting, yes, but his arms no longer feel like home. I've been hurt by his arms too many times.

"I love you," I whisper, knowing the words aren't true in the slightest. Luke doesn't seem to realize, his eyes slipping closed. He leans against his pillow as his breathing evens out.

I start to cry, silent tears leaking down my cheeks. I hate myself for letting him reduce me to this, but it's so hard to be strong when all I am is weak. Piper would say fake it 'till you make it. I'm not even sure if I can do that.

But, the thought of Piper fills me with happiness, and I know what I need to do.

I slip out from under Luke's arms, freezing when he flips over. I wait until I'm sure he's asleep, and then leave his room.

I creep downstairs, make sure May is okay (asleep on the couch), and then grab my stuff.

I put on my shoes, turn off the lights, and go outside. After locking the doors, I begin to walk.

Something inside me has snapped, just like May, but I refuse to be broken. I do feel for the boy I left sleeping upstairs, the one who is broken just like his mother. I feel for him, and I used to love him. I did.

But Luke thought that my love would fix him, would heal the broken pieces in him. He was wrong, and he's scared to let me go. He realized he had to be the one to fix himself, just like I did. The difference is that I'm brave enough to put my pieces together. Luke isn't.

And I'm praying that he'll get there. I think he will. I know he can. But only time will tell.

I look up to see Piper's mansion looming in front of me. I call her, putting the phone up to my ear.

I hear her voice at the same time I see her bedroom light up.

"Annabeth?"

"Hey. I'm outside."