[ thirteen ]

"Ready?" Percy asks, turning and looking at me from his spot in the driver's seat

"No," I respond, "But I'm going to do it anyway."

Percy grins, and parks the car in a side street. I had decided to meet Luke for lunch today, and Percy is going to be watching. It almost feels like I'm on a spy mission, except well, this is real life, and we're not trained professionals.

I jump out and wave to Percy, my heart pounding. He flashes a reassuring smile, but it does little to help calm by nerves. I know that Percy would never let Luke hurt me, but Luke doesn't play by the rules.

He never has.

I bite my lip and walk in, my eyes scanning over the sea of faces until I spot Luke's.

"Hey," I take the seat next to him and wait for him to look up from his phone. "You didn't tell me you were going away."

"You didn't need to know." He finally puts his phone in his pocket and looks up at me.

"Luke. You just disappeared. I should have known what you were doing."

"I told you that you didn't need to know. I was only gone for a couple days."

He was gone for a week, but I don't bother correcting him. I didn't come here to fight.

Out of the corner of my eye, I see Percy walk in. He's wearing a sweatshirt with the hood up, black jeans, and his scuffed converse. He looks like any teenager, but he also looks like he did the first day I saw him. I thought he looked cute then, and I think he looks cute now.

The sight of him sends flutters to my stomach, and I imagine what Percy and I could be if Luke weren't here.

I start to smile, and Luke looks over. "What are you smiling about?!"

"Nothing. Everything." I reply, unable to stop grinning. "We're done."

"What?"

"You heard me, we're done. I can't do this anymore Luke. I don't love you anymore, because I've learned to love myself. Now you need to do the same." I get up, and cut Luke off. "Trust me, this is better for both of us."

I can't keep my cheeky grin off my face, and I start to walk away. Luke quickly runs after me, but I ignore him.

Stepping outside into the cool air, I begin to laugh. I can finally breathe for the first time in years, and who knew it would be so easy? I laugh and laugh, feeling the best I have in ages.

"Stop Annabeth. This is crazy. You don't know what you're saying."

"I do, though. I'm smarter than you think."

He growls and grabs my arm, pulling my into an alley.

Starting to swear and yell, Luke goes over all the reasons why I shouldn't break up with him. But I've heard all his excuses before, so I start to walk away.

He lunges forward and grabs my arm, his face flushed.

"Hey. Don't touch her."

"You little- I should have known you were behind this. Annabeth is being poisoned by you. She doesn't know what she's saying."

"Yeah she does. This was all her."

I try to tell Percy to leave so he doesn't get hurt, but he sends me a small smile.

Luke advances, and throws a punch. Percy just takes it.

He looks like a deer caught in the headlights, like a little boy. Percy clearly has entered another time, and just stands there, taking the punches.

"Luke!" I cry, "Stop. I'm serious. Don't hurt him."

"Oh you think you're so smart, don't you?" He comes towards me now, his eyes deadly. "How long have you been cheating on me? Since the day he came?"

"What? No. Luke, Percy and I are just friends."

Luke mumbles something under his breath, and looks away.

"I'm sorry Luke. Okay? I'm sorry, but I couldn't do it anymore. Tell May I'll visit whenever she wants."

Instead of looking back at me, Luke begins to walk into the street. After a couple seconds, he starts to run. I wait until he's out of sight, and then turn to Percy.

"Holy.." He's leaning against the building, his face a bleeding swollen mess.

"I'm fine," He mumbles, spitting out red blood.

"Let me help you."

"Seriously, I'm fine. I can do it myself."

"Don't you dare move," I say, watching Percy try to get up. I run into the restaurant and go to the bathroom, grabbing a huge handful of paper towels. Wetting a few, I go back out. I probably look like an idiot, but oh well.

I go back to where Percy is sitting, and fix his face to the best of my abilities. What he really needs is ice, but that will have to wait. I give him some advil from my purse, and help him up.

Slowly walking back over to his car, I help him get into the passenger seat. I don't drive a lot, but I do know how.

"Can you just take me home," Percy asks, closing his eyes.

"Yeah, of course."

Once we get to his house, we start to get out. Percy waves me off, claiming he's fine and I don't need to come in.

I'm worried for him, worried for the small broken boy I saw earlier, so I stop him.

"Percy.... Why did you let him hit you? It would have been fine if you wanted to punch him."

"No, it's just- I don't really feel comfortable hurting people. I've been on the other side of that too many times, so I try to avoid violence at all costs."

"Oh. I didn't even think of that. I'm sorry." I say, feeling guilty.

"It's fine. You should probably go home. You can take my car if you want."

"I'll walk. It's not that far, and I want to clear my head. Thank you, by the way."

"No problem. That's what friends are for, Annabeth."

We both get out of the car, and I watch Percy make his way into his house. When the door closes, I break into a run.

I sprint the whole way to my house, loving the burn in my legs, and the heat in my lungs.

Grinning, I go up to take a shower.

That's what friends are for.