[ ten ]

Annabeth comes back into the room, her face stony and unreadable

Annabeth comes back into the room, her face stony and unreadable. She looks a little proud, but I'm not sure why.

I expect Luke to follow in after her, but to my surprise, I hear the front door slam.

We all jump, scared out of our movie daze.

Annabeth doesn't say anything, so neither do we. Maybe he forgot something in his car?

A second later, we hear his engine start and his wheels peeling down the driveway. Piper sends me a look, but I don't know what it means.

Annabeth is sitting on her armchair, but it looks much too big for her now. She looks a little pale, and her hands are shaking. No one else seems to notice.

When she looks my way, I mouth "Are you okay?"

She glares at me before looking away. Her seething look kind of scares me, if I'm being honest. You know that expression? If looks could kill, I'd be six feet under. After being brutally tortured.

Swallowing back my fear, I text her. I'm always going to be here, so if you want to talk :)

Annabeth ignores the buzz of her phone. So, there goes that.

We finish the movie, and start to get ready for bed. We probably won't go to sleep for another couple of hours, but pajamas make everything better.

Annabeth is wearing a pair of sweatpants, and one of Luke's t-shirts. And I'm mad. I can't help it. I want to let Annabeth live her life, but it's like there's a magnetic pulse pushing us together. I just hope that I'm not the only one who can feel it.

Annabeth and Piper are cuddled together on the couch, and I lie next to Jason on the air mattress. He's watching his girlfriend, a small smile on his face. I'm watching Annabeth, but no one needs to know that.

Hazel is lying in front of the couch, on top of a huge pile of blankets. Leo is on the armchair, and Frank is on the smaller couch.

We talk for a bit, but eventually everyone doses off. Well, except for me.

My mind is buzzing, the way it often does before bed. I've tried everything, but I've come to accept the fact that it's going to take me awhile to fall asleep.

My phone turns on, and I groan, reaching over to turn it off. It's probably the football guys.

To my surprise, it's Annabeth. I thought she was asleep. I unlock my phone and click onto our messages. She replied, Actually, yeah. That would be great.

I'm about to text back when Jason slaps my arm. "Light off, bro. Some of us are asleep."

I get up and walk towards the kitchen, hoping Annabeth gets the hint. I'm sitting in the dim room, a cup of water in front of me, when she walks in.

"Hey," her eyes are shifting, looking everywhere but at me.

"Hey. What's up?"

Instead of answering my question, Annabeth begins to cry, Startled, I lean forward and wrap my arms around her.

It's actually not that awkward. She melts into my arms, and I hold her, letting her sob into my shirt.

I whisper sweet nothings into her ear, telling her that she'll be alright. And it's true. Annabeth is the strongest person I know.

I'm not quite sure what's going on - I have a few theories - but whatever it is, Annabeth will get through it. I know she can.

After a couple minutes, she pulls away, her eyes still watering.

"I'm sor-"

"Don't apologize. You did nothing wrong."

She shakes her head, more tears spilling out. Mumbling something about Luke, she hangs her head.

"Annabeth, no. You did nothing wrong. I promise you. And I don't break promises."

"But," she pauses and takes a deep breath, "He was mad, Percy. He was so mad. That has to be my fault."

"It's not, though. It's just not!" I put my hand on her shoulder, but she shrugs me off.

"I don't think you understand, Percy," her tone is icy, despite the fact that her words are quiet.

I match her tone, my frustration growing. Why won't she listen to me?

"Actually, Annabeth, I do understand. A lot better than you might think." I feel my eyes get glassy, and look away before Annabeth can tell. That was a dark time in my life, and I really don't want to relive it. But, for Annabeth, I will.

I would do anything for this girl.

"Oh." She walks forward and wraps her arms around me, supporting me just like I supported her.

"I'm so sorry, Percy. I- I didn't know."

"It's fine. In the past. And it's not like you would know. It's not exactly something I like to advertise." I laugh, but it's haunting and bitter, reminding me of dark cold nights, of harsh words, and even harsher lashes.

I shake my head to clear the memories, but it's hard. Then it was my mom, but now it's Annabeth. I want to protect them both, but I don't know if I can.

I must have done something truly horrible to deserve to be stuck in a cycle this vicious.

"How long?" I whisper into her ear.

"How long what?"

I sigh, and she pulls out of my arms. She sits in the chair next to me, hands clasped.

"How long, Annabeth?" I say again, and she looks up, the sparkle in her eye dull.

"The entire time."