[ two ]

I walk into Goode High School, nervous

I walk into Goode High School, nervous. I had forgotten to set my alarm, so I was 30 minutes late and had skipped breakfast. Not to mention I was coming to a new school, one I would probably get kicked out of, two weeks late. So yeah, my nerves were shot.

I open my locker, and look around the hallway. I see a big friend group, laughing and joking around. There are about seven or eight of them. A tall Canadian? Chinese? boy was holding hands with a shorter girl who had cinnamon brown hair. They were talking to a another boy with curly brown hair, and elfish features. Your average trouble maker. A girl with short choppy brown hair and kaleidoscope eyes was leaning against her locker. A boy, her boyfriend I presume, was standing across from her and kept poking her nose. The boy was super muscular and had extremely blond hair.

I grab all my books and am about to close my locker when I notice another couple. They are making out against a locker, gross. That's school property! The first thing I notice about the girl is how stunning she is. She has gorgeous long blonde hair that cascades halfway down her back in curly ringlets. She is just wearing jeans and and a grey t-shirt with a blue flannel tied around her waist, but it makes her look even more beautiful. The boy is nothing special. He has sandy blond hair as well, and a long scar running from his forehead/eyebrow down to his chin. He does have some muscle, but he's not that impressive.

The boy has the girl pushed up against a locker and is kissing her aggressively. She looks mildly uncomfortable whereas the boy seems like he is enjoying this way, way too much. She does look uncomfortable with the fact they are making out in the hallway, but looks more uncomfortable with the fact that she is kissing him at all. Huh. Maybe they just started dating.

None of their friends even notice, this must be an everyday occurrence. Great. Disgusted with the boy, I turn away and close my locker.

I see members of the group throughout different classes in the morning, but we don't really interact. Apparently they are the popular clique, so its not like they would talk to me anyways. I sit in the back, and do my own thing. They sit near the front, and they might be popular, but they do pay attention, instead of gossiping.

I have ADHD and dyslexia, so school is really hard for me. But, I do try hard, because if I didn't, the shame I would get from my mother would kill me. My mom, Sally Jackson, is the best woman in the world. She's been through so much for me (my dad leaving us when I was a baby, having no money, having to marry my abusive ex-stepfather Gabe Ugliano, getting divorced, and me bouncing around from school to school) so the last thing I want to do is disappoint her with bad grades. My mom is married to an English teacher here at Goode, Mr. Blofis, so that's the only reason I got in. The one thing that does come easy for me is swimming, but I'm not going to try out for the team this year. I'm going out for football, so that way I can make some friends. Maybe next year, if I stay, I'll do swim.

The bell rings, jerking me out of my thoughts. I pick up my binders and head down to the cafeteria for lunch.

They all sit together again at lunch, talking like they've known each other their whole life. The blonde girl still looks pretty tense, but is hiding it with small, tight lipped smiles and fake laughter. Yet again, none of her friends notice. I shake my head and stop staring, why do I care anyways? It's not like I know her.

But I can't stop watching at her all day. In chemistry when she takes notes even when her choppy haired friend won't shut up and stop looking back at me. When she dashes out of the room like if she stays another second it will explode. At the end of the day, when she and her friends all go to their respective sport practices, I notice that she goes to track, and looks the happiest I've seen her all day.

I change in the locker room, and start stretching before tryouts. Of course my first day of school is football tryouts. Yay for me.

Three boys from the blonde girls, I should really learn her name, friend group are here too. The two boys with blond hair, and the bulky Canadian Chinese boy as well.

By the end of the three hour tryouts, I've gotten to know them quite well. The blond boy with a scar on his lip is named Jason, and is dating the choppy brown haired girl, who is named Piper. Jason and Luke, the sandy haired boy with a scar down his face, are pretty close. They do practically everything together. Annabeth is the pretty blonde haired girl, and she and Luke have been dating since freshman year. That surprises me, but I don't say anything. Piper and Annabeth are besties. So are Leo, Hazel and Frank. Hazel is the short girl with cinnamon hair, and Frank is the bulky boy. Leo is the trouble maker and a joker. He's kind of a third wheel too, because Hazel and Frank started dating. Jason says he and Leo are pretty close so its okay.

I'm glad I started talking to them, because they seem like cool people. And, I finally have a name for the mysterious girl. Annabeth, I like it. It's pretty. It suits her.

The boys tell me they have to run, something about Friday pizza, but if I want, I can sit with them on Monday. I agree and watch as they jog out the school doors, already laughing about something Leo said.

Yeah, I'm glad I met them. Maybe this year won't be such a bust after all.

 Maybe this year won't be such a bust after all