[ twelve ]

It's been a week since the sleepover, and I can tell Annabeth is getting restless

It's been a week since the sleepover, and I can tell Annabeth is getting restless. Luke's been away, on some sort of guy trip with his friends. He's missed a week of school and counting.

I told her to be careful, but she often has a mind of her own.

Like today.

She showed up at my house at eight in the morning, preceded to woo my parents, and when I got up an hour later, she was making breakfast for my mom.

"Uh..hi?"

"Oh hey, Percy. I came by earlier, but you were asleep so I figured I would just wait. Your mom did a beautiful job decorating the apartment, but your room could use some work."

"You were watching me sleep?!"

"I never said that." She smirks, and I get tingles in my stomach. Before I can respond, she turns around to flip the pancakes. They're blue, the way we always have them in this house.

Mom looks at me, beaming. "She's an angel Percy. I was very worried that you wouldn't make friends, but here you are. I'm so proud."

"Mom!" I groan, and try to ignore the fact that I can hear Annabeth laughing. She's not even trying to hide it.

"Nice outfit, by the way," Annabeth adds, her smirk still plastered on her face.

"Thanks." I take a seat at the island next to my mom. I'm wearing an XXL kids Finding Nemo matching pajama set (fuzzy sweatpants and a t-shirt), and I have no regrets. Annabeth can judge me all she wants. I wasn't the one who invited her over.

Not that I mind it, though. Unlike me, she's actually dressed. She's wearing a cute cropped hoodie and jeans. Her hair is in a ponytail, like usual. She looks really good. Maybe one day I'll actually be able to say that.

Annabeth puts the pancakes on a plate, and I lean forward to grab one.

After gorging ourselves, Annabeth and I clean up and go into my room.

My mom tells me to leave the door open, and I flush red as Annabeth giggles.

It's not like I'd never had girls over before, but they were usually for a group project. And the one girl I had dated - Rachel - usually came over when my mom was out. Paul is much more chill.

But whatever, because I know that Annabeth doesn't like me like that. And, I'm guessing she's here to talk about Luke. Yay.

I kick my dirty football jersey to the side, and clear a space for Annabeth on my bed.

"Luke is coming back tomorrow, and I want to talk to him." Cutting right to the chase.

"No Annabeth."

"What do you mean 'no'!"

"I mean no. It's too dangerous. You shouldn't break up with him when you're by yourself. You should do it in a public place, and someone should be watching."

"Jeez, Percy. It's my relationship. Why does someone have to be watching?"

"Annabeth, I get that this is scary for you. I just want someone to be there so Luke doesn't try anything. It can be Piper, if you want." I look at Annabeth, but she's not watching me. Her head is in her arms, and she's shaking.

After a second, I realize that she's crying.

"Annabeth?"

"Piper doesn't know, and I don't wanna tell her." She whispers, "I hate him, Perce. I let him ruin my life for so long and now-" Annabeth sobs again, and something inside me breaks.

I walk over and tentatively wrap my arms around her. She stiffens for a second, but lets me hold her.

I don't know how long we sit there, but I only have one thought on my mind.

Annabeth doesn't deserve this.