[ eight ]

I send Annabeth a quick text, asking her if she's almost here

I send Annabeth a quick text, asking her if she's almost here. I've been waiting in the library for the better part of fifteen minutes, and she's still a no show.

I know she said she'd be a little late, but I'm not used to being alone in a library. Or being in a library.

Shifting in my seat again, I try to look like I can read the words on the magazine in front of me. In reality, they're swirling, but whatever.

Finally, Annabeth shows up. She runs into the library, looks around, and smiles when she sees me. It doesn't erase the worried look in her eye though.

"Sorry, Piper would not let me leave her house. Sometimes I forget how clingy she can be."

"No biggie. I've just been...reading." I point vaguely toward the table, where a magazine about women's health is sitting, flipped open to a random page. Annabeth lifts an eyebrow, and I try to cover my blush with a smirk.

"C'mon Seaweed Brain. Let's get out of here."

"I thought we were studying?"

"Not anymore. You're not going to say no to ice cream and ditch me, are you?"

I don't say no to ice cream even though it's winter, and Annabeth thinks that anything cold in winter is crazy. Something's clearly up, because Annabeth is never late, and she would never skip studying.

So, I grab my bag and go along with her. I figure if it's really important, she'll tell me. And if not, then it's probably none of my business.

We enter the shop and get blasted with warm air. I savor the feeling of it blowing on my face and smile.

I love ice cream. Specifically the blue type, but still. It's all great.

I get blue cotton candy in a cone with lots of sprinkles, and Annabeth gets toffee heath bar. She's a little weird.

We sit down and start to eat, ignoring the silence. We're never quiet.

After what feels like forever, I have to say something.

"So..." I start, leaving the rest for her.

"So what?"

"Annabeth," I groan. "Don't play that game. You've been acting strange and I want to make sure you're okay."

"Because we're friends?" She asks, surprising me.

I have to think about my answer for a second. Technically, Annabeth and I are friends. But we all know she's a lot more than that to me. And then there's the fact that she's still with Luke. Somethings not right there, but I don't particularly want to be a homewrecker.

I settle with what I think is a safe answer. "Of course we're friends. Why else would I be here?"

Annabeth scowls.