[ eighteen]

As Annabeth's breathing evens, I flip over again

As Annabeth's breathing evens, I flip over again. And again. And again.

I can still hear the adults talking, but I try to block them out. I don't want to hear it anymore.

Poseidon's not going to pay my college loans. I know it, Sally knows it, Paul knows it. Annabeth probably knows it too. But it doesn't seem like Poseidon is leaving any time soon.

Sure, my family's never been rich. That doesn't mean we've been poor though. I was never the kid who got a new toy every time we went to the store, and I never wanted to be. I was okay with having enough to get by and never pushed it. Everything was okay.

Plus, I've always known I would go to college. I would get a job, take out loans. I don't need my deadbeat dad to pay for it. Why did he even know that money's been tight with the baby? And mom said something about an email? Has she been keeping in touch with Poseidon?

Everything is spiraling, spiraling, spiraling. I can't think.

I just want to go to sleep, but I can't because Annabeth is in my bed. Like right there.

I like her so much, but she's not going to like me anymore. Why would she like me knowing that my family isn't as perfect as she thought. Knowing that money is always tight, but it's been especially bad with the baby coming. She knows that Mom and Paul are nervous and cutting back on expenses.

She knows that I've never met my dad before today, and that he's not the nicest.

If anyone were to know these secrets about me, I'm glad it's Annabeth. But that doesn't mean I wanted her to find out. Sharing can be good, but I'd rather keep this to myself.

At least, I didn't want to tell her yet.

Is this going to change anything? Probably not. I mean, it's Annabeth. I know her secrets and she knows mine. Even playing field.

But I don't want to be on a playing field with Annabeth. I want what we have to be real. Not some game that we're playing, both of us trying to win.

And that's why I creep out of my room and go into the new baby's. There's a spare couch in here that I can sleep on.

Having Annabeth stay over was way too much, too soon. I don't want to make her uncomfortable. I probably shouldn't have even asked her to stay. I just don't want to be alone right now.

•••

"Percy, honey? What are you doing?"

I blink a couple times, taking in my surroundings.

I'm bent in half on the couch. There's a kink in my neck and a blanket that's been half heartedly pulled over my legs. For a second, I can't remember how I got here, but then the events of last night come rushing back.

"Is Annabeth okay? Where's Posiedon?"

Mom comes over to me, pushing my unruly hair back from my face. "They're both asleep, Perce. What are you doing in here?"

"Annabeth was sleeping in my room." I say bluntly, still waking up.

I push past Mom and go into the kitchen. Paul waves me over to the island and pulls me into his arms. I close my eyes and breathe him in. He smells like coffee and paper; like home.

Sitting cross legged on a chair, I put my head in my hands. I slept horribly last night, plagued with images of Poseidon and my mom and the new baby and school and Annabeth until it was just a swirl of nothing and I was waking up in a cold sweat.

The guest room door is closed, but the light's on behind it. It's eight o'clock, so I wasn't expecting him to still be asleep. Even though I wish he were.

And speak of the devil, here comes Poseidon now. He comes striding into the kitchen dressed like a businessman, and I'm sitting here, a mess in all senses of the word, only in pajamas. Clearly he wants to show he has money. Sucks for him, I guess. I love my pajamas.

Paul starts making coffee as Mom starts making pancakes. They're a perfect team, seemingly knowing what the other one is going to do before they do themselves.

I think Annabeth and I could be like that someday.

Mom comes over and tells me to put on clothes before breakfast. I politely decline, but then she gives me that look and I get up.

I don't bother with saying good morning to Poseidon, instead walking right past him like I'm late for class and I already have a detention. It wouldn't be the first time.

Slipping into the darkness of my room, I spot Annabeth's sleeping form on my bed. It sends butterflies straight to my stomach.

Since she's asleep, I don't bother covering my smile, instead just grabbing clean clothes. I leave again and get dressed, smiling all the while. It only occurs to me as I'm coming back that the two of us should probably call Piper and apologize for literally running from her house last night. I know she won't care, but still, rather safe than sorry.

I walk back into my bedroom, overjoyed when I see that Annabeth's up.

"Hey, good morning."

"Percy I have to go." Her voice is deep, deeper than usual at least, from sleep. It's cute and hot at the same time and makes me blush. Then I realize what she's saying and my giddiness fades.

"What?"

"Like right now. My dad's on his way to Piper's. I have to go."