[ three ]

I nod halfheartedly, not really listening as Piper finishes her lecture on why Luke and I should go on a double date with her and Jason

I nod halfheartedly, not really listening as Piper finishes her lecture on why Luke and I should go on a double date with her and Jason. I would love that, but unfortunately Luke "doesn't do" double dates. Besides even if we did go on a double date, I know it wouldn't go well. My dates with Luke never do. So, I've never pushed the issue.

I put my hair up in a messy bun, and grab my computer from my bag. I need to start typing my essay. Piper and I have been doing homework for the past two hours, while our boyfriends are at football practice. Correction: I have being doing homework for the past two hours, Piper has been talking. For two hours. Straight. I love the girl, but sometimes she can be a lot.

But, if I'm being honest, I've gotten used to it. We've done this every Wednesday, the only day we don't have sports practice, since freshman year. It's one of our bestie traditions.

"Annabeth, Annabeth! Are you even listening to me!?" Piper says, shaking my shoulder.

"Sorry, Pipes, I'm just a little out of it," I give her a sheepish smile.

"Yea, yea, whatever. You've been in la-la land every since Percy arrived." I scoff. What was she talking about? That was not true! I was about to defend my honor, but Piper plowed on, not even stopping to take a breath.

"What I was saying was, I can't believe I got a another detention today!" She throws her hands in the air, clearly exasperated.

I bite back a laugh, Piper gets detentions a lot. Sometimes she can talk herself out of them, other times, not so much. Leo usually gets detention too, so it's not like she's always alone.

"What was it this time?" I ask with mock politeness. I'm pretty sure everyone in the school knew why Piper had detention today.

"I got dress-coded! Can you believe it!" For Piper's sake, I try to hold back my laughter, but I really can't. Before long, I have tears streaming down my face, and I can't breath.

Piper pouts, "It's not funny Annabeth! Coach is going to kill me when she finds out I have another detention. I've missed every Friday practice for the last month!" By now, I've fallen out of my seat, and am practically rolling on the floor. Piper sulks, but lets me finish laughing with only a few glares thrown my way. The wall got its fair share of glares, though.

"Piper you're wearing a crop top that just barely covers your chest, and jean shorts so short they're practically invisible! You were asking to get dress coded. You knew that." I say, pointing at her outfit.

"It's not fair! Drew wears stuff like this all the time, and she never gets in trouble. I hate her!" Piper seethes. I sigh, sitting back down on the bench next to Piper. I should have known that is what this was about.

"Piper," I say, forcing my friend to look me in the eye. "You got the guy. You did, not Drew. He doesn't like you because you're a knock-off Drew, he likes you because you're not like Drew. He said so himself, he's done with girls like that. He hasn't so much as glanced at Drew or Reyna since he got with you." Piper looked at me, tears in her eyes, clearly not believing what I'm saying.