Chapter 4: Potions

"Honestly, this is mad weird." Jordyn swallows what's in her mouth and starts coughing hysterically.

"Honestly, what's wrong with you?" I say with gritted teeth, because she spotted bits of doughnut onto my shirt and my face when she coughed.

"Sorry, it's just so dry! I've never tasted a doughnut like this, it's so dry!" She exclaims and rinses her mouth at the sink.

"Shut up and look at these. What even are these?" I look at the open safe, and it's full of potions. It was all lined up in various colors, and there were three levels. 

"Extermination?" Jordyn looks at the tag that was on the first level. All the potions were labeled with stages. And there was a space, without a potion bottle.

"I think this is what the person took." I examine the different potions carefully. There were names I knew how to read, like invisibility, remedy, and life. But there were strange names like Hermachaneous visitatie, which was something I didn't even know. 

"Why are the doughnuts so stale? It's nothing like the ones you give me." Jordyn complains and throws one to the ground.

"Oh my gosh, could you be quiet?" I start but then I stop. "Wait what did you say?" I turn around and Jordyn raises her eyebrows. I walk over and grab the white box of doughnuts she was chewing on before.  The tag says, "Party Doughnuts!" I open it and it looks really appealing. The doughnuts looked moist and lined up perfectly. I took one, and took a bite. It was hard, and it was nothing how it was supposed to taste.

"Eww! Look what you're holding!" Jordyn yells and points at my hands. I look down and I drop the doughnut. It was a sickly gray, with green mold on it. I spit the bits from my mouth and it comes out in gray pieces too. 

"What is this place?" I look around with my eyes wide open. Our thoughts and our confusion is stopped when loud stomping heads our direction. Again.

We see the hands and we quietly creep behind the counter, holding our breaths. After 7 long dreadful minutes, it stalked away. Jordyn let out a painful sigh.

"This is bad, really bad. Why is everyone dead? And why is everything confusing us right now?" Jordyn sighs and sits on a stool. I felt bad for her, but I know that words don't comfort anyone. Saying something is fine, doesn't mean that it's actually going to be fine. Mark my word.

If you're in an extreme problem, and someone says, "It's going to be fine," they're wrong. What is fine about the situation? Nothing. And that's exactly what's happening right now. Nothing is fine! Literally, nothing. I hear footsteps in the back door and I whip around. 

Must be my imagination. I thought and I let that brush off me. Jordyn swings her bag over her and she dusts off herself. I also retrieve my bag and I gather up the potions that were in the safe in a box. We were about to get out of the store when we hear a crash. 

Nope, not my imagination. 

"Who was that?" I turn around and I look around the entire store, not sure what to do.

"You know, you guys aren't the only ones alive. We are too." A voice says and I hold out the knife, expecting this to be an attack.

Two people come out. A girl and a boy. About the same height as us and they lock eyes with me. They're both scared, and they look pretty injured. Bruises and cuts are scattered all over their arms and legs.

"Hi...Who are you guys?" Jordyn asks politely.

"Our parents got killed. I suppose yours too. And we both are the only ones that made it out alive." The boy says and he walks closer. My eyes narrow and I hold out my hand. He shakes it and smiles.

I felt so relieved that we're not the only ones alive. Whew.