A Fresh Start

Preminger sat up from the bench where he had slept, still groggy and half asleep. He had been dreaming about bees. Bees? Shit, my job starts today! Preminger thought. He bolted up from the bench and started running. He didn't know where he was running to, so he stopped and pulled out the card Barry had given him. 12 58th Street. Address in mind, he began running in the correct direction.

20 minutes later, Preminger arrived at the building. It was shaped like a massive beehive. A sign above the rotating doors read:

Benson and Associates Honey Company

So this was where Barry worked. Preminger walked into the building and up to the pretty receptionist sitting at the front desk. She had neat shoulder length brown hair and blue eyes. Preminger slicked back his hair and leaned on the desk casually.

"Hey there, I'm starting work here today," Preminger said.

"I'm sorry I don't have a record of any new employees starting today," she bluntly replied.

"Oh well uh, Barry sent me," Preminger said, turning to look at her. She looked at him skeptically.

"Barry sent you?"

"Yeah, he gave me his card."

"Can I see it?" She asked. Preminger pulled the card from his pocket and showed it to the woman. She paled.

"I'm so sorry sir, come right this way," she stood and led him to the elevator. He followed her into it and she pressed the 14th floor button.

"What's your name?" Preminger asked the woman.

"Louise," she said, "and yours?"

"Preminger."

"I apologize for doubting you earlier."

"I can think of a way for you to make it up to me."

"What's that?" Louise asked as Preminger got closer to her in the elevator. He backed her up to the wall and put his arms on either side of her. Then he leaned in towards her face.

"I think you're very attractive Louise," Preminger said, looking deep into her slightly frightened but mostly intrigued sky blue eyes.

"I think you're attractive too Preminger," Louise breathed. She closed her eyes and tilted her face towards him expectantly. She wanted him to kiss her. Preminger looked at her thoughtfully and took her chin into his hand. He slowly lowered himself to her lips but stopped a mere hair's breadth away from touching them.

The elevator dinged and the door opened.  Preminger quickly stood straight at the other side of the elevator. Louise was still backed against the wall, face bright red. She slowly stood and composed herself. Smoothing her rumpled skirt and fixing her hair.

"Well, here's your floor Mr. Preminger," She said briskly, and led him into the room. Preminger followed with a smirk on his face. This job was going to work out just fine.