Chapter 32 | Engaged!

*** Five years later ***

Sophie's stomach was fluttering as she got dressed that morning. Keefe had hailed her and asked if he could come over to hang out. He did that a lot, so it wasn't unusual... but something in his voice sounded... off.

So she picked out the tunic Keefe had given her when they graduated Foxfire- ice blue with Empaths give me all the feels written in large white letters across the front. Then she pulled on a pair of leggings and ran a brush through her hair before walking out to the Panakes tree to wait for Keefe.

But he was already out there, leaning against the braided bark, cape blowing in the wind. Sophie smiled at how he still looked just like he had when they were kids. He was a little older, sure, a little more broken. They had all seen too much for kids barely even in the elite levels. But his hair was just as perfectly styled as ever, and his clothes- actually, his clothes weren't as wrinkled as usual.

When Sophie approached, Keefe looked at her and smiled the smile that always melted her heart. They had been dating for five years now- with only a couple rough patches- and Sophie had been wondering lately about how their lives would go. Would Keefe accept the job he had been offered as a Regent? Would Sophie accept the offered Emissary position? Would she one day become a Councillor?

She didn't know. And she'd been stressing about it way too much lately. Which was why she so looked forward to hanging out with Keefe. He always made her feel safe and secure, and she was able to relax in his arms like no other place.

Keefe smirked, and Sophie blushed- realizing she'd been staring at him. She finished walking up to him and gave him a light kiss. He kissed her back, then took her hand.

"That's a lot of stress, Foster."

"Sorry. Just... been thinking about life, you know? What I'm going to do? I know a lot of people think I should become an Emissary, and then a Councillor some day... but I don't know if I want that. At least... not now. I want to live a little first, you know?"

"Yeah." His voice was soft. "I do know."

"What about you? Ready to become Lord Keefe?"

He grinned a little. "Almost. There are a couple things in my life I want to get straightened out first."

"Oh?"

"Yeah." But he didn't elaborate, just tilting his head back to look at the clouds. She did too, watching them drift by without a care and wishing she could be like that.

After several minutes, Keefe spoke. "I've been looking up some stuff about humans. It's weird how they always take the guy's name when they get married. I guess it makes sense, though... no having to decide. It's just decided for you."

"Yeah. Although sometimes the girl will keep her name, especially if a lot of people know her by it. Like a doctor or a writer." Sophie wondered what had brought this on. "Why were you looking that up?"

He shrugged. "Just wanted to see what it was like for you. You seem so natural, I sometimes forget that you were raised in a completely different world."

"I do too, sometimes. But I don't feel natural. It's like I'm always trying to catch up and do things the elvin way- but I keep messing it up. Sometimes I think I'll never get it all straight."

"You will. But honestly? You don't need to. Because humans have some pretty awesome traditions. Like birthdays. I can't believe elves don't celebrate birthdays! Or at least inception days."

Sophie laughed. She had told her friends about birthdays when she realized her 'sweet sixteen' was coming up. They had thrown her a party she would never forget.