Chapter 28 | Swimming

Getting chewed out by Dad actually wasn't that bad. He was mad, sure, but it's not like he'd never been mad before. I just tuned him out, imagining where I'd take Foster next. Maybe the beach or a lake or something. Swimming would be a nice break from the stress she was under.

I was trying to decide on which lake when my dad stomped off. I turned to Ro. "Did he say anything I should care about?"

She yawned, bored. "No clue. But if I had to guess... nope."

I smirked at her and pushed off the wall I was leaning against. Then I grabbed a book- Most Beautiful Places In The World- off my shelf and started flipping through it.

*****

Twenty-four hours later, I was leaning against a palm tree in light pants and a light tunic, waiting for Foster to show up. I'd dropped off a leaping crystal in her room, with no note.

I didn't have to wait long. She appeared in front of me, dressed in heather grey leggings and a pale red tunic with a high neck and three quarter length sleeves. She gasped and turned her head from side to side, gazing at the exquisite clear water, breeze-whipped palm trees, and the huge blue sky.

Eventually, she turned enough to spot me and smiled her beautiful smile. I tried to say something clever, but my brain blanked. I lost myself in her brilliant smile and deep eyes. She looked at me like nothing else mattered. And I could barely breathe.

Finally, she spoke. "This is beautiful, Keefe."

I still couldn't say anything. I probably looked stupid, my mouth hanging open and leaning against a palm tree, but I didn't even care. Nothing else mattered but her.

She laughed softly, which didn't help my stupor. Then she walked toward me and touched my cheek. The tingles shocking through my body snapped me out of my daze, and I pushed off the tree suddenly to wrap my arms around her waist and kiss her.

She kissed me back, long and sweet. All I could feel was the warm sun on our faces, her hand that had slid into my hair, and her emotions pulsing against mine.

She eventually pulled away from me. "Did we come here for a reason? Or just the view?"

I smirked at her. "Foster, Foster. Aren't I enough of a view?"

She laughed and lightly punched my chest.

"Ouch. But actually, I was planning on swimming."

"Swimming? But... we don't have swimsuits."

"What?"

"Elves use swimsuits, right?"

"I don't even know what that is."

"Um... you just swim in your clothes? But they stick to you and stay wet!"

"Eh, I guess."

She laughed. "Okay then..."

I pulled her back in, kissing her again. She closed her eyes and leaned in for a minute before breaking the kiss. "Aren't we going to swim?"

"Yeah." I jumped into the water, splashing her.

"Hey!" she kicked off her shoes and jumped in after me. I flicked a little water at her, and she splashed me back. We splashed and laughed until we were exhausted. I looked at her. Her hair was sticking to her face in dark strands, and her outfit was soaked through. If possible, she looked even more beautiful. 

I reached for her face, brushing her hair out of her face. Then I stepped through the water even closer and leaned over her. But just before our lips touched, I whispered to her.