Chapter 18 | Stina Heks

Sophie gasped. On Keefe's bed, flipping through his secret notebooks, sat Stina Heks (A/N I really wish I could see your faces)

"What on earth are you doing here?" Sophie asked, shocked.

"Waiting for you, duh. You looked awfully cute down there, by the way."

Sophie turned red. "Why were you spying on us?"

"Bored. Look, I was waiting at your house, but you never showed. Your parents said you might still be here- they're worried, by the way."

"What do you need, Stina?"

"Team Valiant business. Meeting day after tomorrow." And she stood up, setting the notebook to the side, and leaped away.

Keefe snorted. "She seriously needed to sit there and snoop to tell you there was a meeting?"

"Ugh, she's annoying." Sophie reached for the notebook Stina had been reading, the gold one, but Keefe grabbed it first and stuffed it in his pocket.

"When are you going to let me look at those?" Sophie asked him playfully.

"Grady's gonna kill both of us if you don't go home soon."

Sophie laughed. "That was a pitiful attempt at a subject change."

"Hey, it's true."

"I guess. See you tomorrow." And she started to pull her home crystal out of her pocket.

"You're just gonna leave me here? Not even gonna say goodnight?" He gave her a hurt pout.

"Goodnight, Keefe. Love you." She kissed him lightly on the cheek. As she pulled away, he caught her and pulled her back, kissing her.

Sophie kissed him back, temporarily not caring that she was dead when she got home. Then, her Imparter lit up and she pulled it out of her pocket.

"Hello?"

Grady's face appeared on the screen. "WHERE ARE YOU, SOPHIE?"

"Umm... on my way. Sorry. Be right there." And she quickly hung up, looking at Keefe.

"Ugh, I'm dead." He groaned.

"Yep." And she kissed him again, short but sweet. "Bye."

He looked like he wanted to pull her back, but he let her go. "Bye."

She raised her crystal and stepped into the beam of light.

*****

"WHERE ON EARTH WERE YOU?"

Sophie had barely stepped into the Havenfield pastures when Grady started yelling in her face.

"Uh, Dad... sorry, it took longer than we thought."

"Longer than you thought?! It's MIDNIGHT, young lady!"

Sophie looked up, shocked. "Midnight?"

"Yes! Let alone the fact that you were skipping classes to kiss your boyfriend-"

Sophie put her hands on her face. "How did you hear that?"

"Oh, so you were?"

"Wait- what?"

"I didn't know it, but now I do. You are grounded, young lady. Good thing it's Friday, you need some time away from That Boy."

"Dad!"

"No! Up to your room, now. We'll talk more in the morning." He pointed to the house.

Sophie stormed into the house and up the stairs, ignoring Edaline's sympathetic glance. She collapsed onto her bed, crying.

Then she sat up.

Keefe?

Foster? He answered immediately.

Ugh, I'm grounded. And in huge trouble.

That stinks.

Ya think? And it's Friday. He's not going to let me out of the house until Monday.

Hmm. I guess I should've kissed you again.

Very funny.

What do you want me to do?

I don't know!

Okay... see you tomorrow.

Tomorrow??

You didn't really think we'd listen, did you?

Uh...

You did. That's adorable. See you tomorrow. And he severed the connection.

Sophie laughed, then got ready for bed. When she slipped under the covers, she fell asleep almost instantly.