Chapter 4 | The Meltdown

A/N I updated my kotlc club.

Sophie was nervous as she got ready for school that morning. She hadn't slept all night, worried about how to act around her friends and... Keefe. They hadn't talked about what they were going to do, but Sophie wasn't quite ready to show up kissing him. Especially since most of her friends didn't know she'd broken up with Fitz... who had mostly avoided her since school started. She decided she needed to hail him and straighten a couple things out before school.

She decided to hail instead of transmit, because she was sure Biana would eavesdrop, and the word would get around more quickly.

"Hey, Fitz? I think we need to talk." She said when he picked up.

"Sure, what's up?" He replied, a little confused.

"About... us. Or really... not us. And how to act. Have you... told anyone? People are... wondering. About why we don't really talk or hang out anymore. I think it's time to make it public." She blurted awkwardly.

"Umm..." Fitz mumbled, looking a little hurt. "I guess... if that's what you want..."

"We agreed, remember? We work better as friends. Best friends."

"Isn't that what you said to Dex?"

"I can have several best friends. I do have several best friends. But... not a boyfriend. Yet." She regretted adding the last words when she saw a flicker of hope in Fitz's beautiful teal eyes. "Look, Fitz... I have to go. Finish getting ready for school. See you later." And she hung up quickly, collapsing onto her bed. That had gone... badly. She had told Fitz before that she wasn't ready for a boyfriend... and the only reason she was making it public was that she had a new one. She felt like a terrible person. Sophe rolled onto her stomach and started to cry, mentally yelling at herself for being so cruel and quick to find a new boyfriend. She never should've let him kiss her.

So that's how she was when Keefe walked into her room half an hour later.

"Figured I'd find you like this."

"What are you doing here, Keefe?" Sophie groaned without looking up.

"You didn't show up at school, and I knew you weren't sick. Well, not physically." He grinned at his own joke, but the smirk fell off his face when he took a closer look at her.

"What's wrong, Foster? Don't tell me you regret..." he hesitated. "Coming." He finished lamely.

"I never should have done that. Fitz and I aren't even publically broken up. I broke up with him because I wasn't ready for a boyfriend. I am a terrible person to go straight over to you. I never should've kissed you. I... shouldn't be as in love with you as I am."

Keefe didn't speak for a long time. Eventually, he sat on the bed next to her- but keeping a couple feet distance. Sophie stayed facedown.

"Listen to me," he said softly. "This is not your fault. It's mine. I... I'm the one who started all this. I've just loved you for so long... after you and Fitz broke up... I thought I saw a perfect opportunity. It was stupid of me and... I'm sorry. If you want to end it right now... I'll go away. I will. Until... I don't know. As long as you want me to. Maybe... maybe forever. If that's what you want.

"Keefe!" Sophie said, sitting up. "This is not about what I want! Didn't you hear me? I'm in love with you. If I could be your girlfriend... but I can't. Don't you see why I can't? Fitz..." and her voice broke off into a sob. After a minute, Keefe scooched closer to her and rubbed her back while she cried. Eventually, she continued.

"Fitz... would be so mad. At me. At you. And he has every right to!"

"Okay, first of all-" Keefe broke in. "Fitz has no right to be mad. You weren't ready for a boyfriend- you had a lot going on. If you are now, and pick someone else, that's none of his business. Second of all, I can take whatever he throws at me. I've done it before."