Chapter 17 | Water Tricks

A/N Keefe's POV

I don't know how long I sat there, crumpled against the wall in the hallway. It's safe to say it was several minutes, though. The only thing that brought me out of my stupor was hearing Foster's nagging voice in my head.

Keefe? I tried to ignore her.

KEEFE? Why couldn't she let me sulk in peace?

I know you can hear me, Keefe.

I sighed, giving up. Foster?

Yes, Keefe. We need to talk.

Yeah, we do. But that doesn't mean I have to like it. I'm scared to go talk to her. She literally had to grab my arm to keep me from punching Fitz! He's stupid, but I'm worse. As much as I didn't want to talk about it, I owed her an apology. I know. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have run off.

I get why you did. But we need to talk now.

Kay. At our spot. And I severed the connection. I know she could force her way back in if she wanted to, but she doesn't. I finally lift my head and look around to get my bearings. It looks like I'm in the hallway next to where I said I'd meet Sophie. So I stand up and stretch, walking over to the bench. I lay down again the way I was when I saw Foster for the second time.

The first time I saw her was during orientation her first day of Foxfire, when Dame Alina singled her out. I was about ten prodigies away, and suddenly I felt this overwhelming wave of embarrassment and humiliation with a dash of anger. That was when I realized there was something special about her- I had never felt anyone else with emotions that strong.

I was so caught up in the memory that I almost didn't notice Foster walking down the hall towards me. She seemed lost in thought too, and was about to pass me, when I spoke.

"You must be lost." I know, it's cheesy. But I guess I was still caught up in the memories of that first day.

By the way, I'm just going to go on record saying there is no such thing as true love on first sight. What happens is a crush at first sight and love that builds over time into something so strong nothing can make it go away. The first time I realized I was in love with Sophie was when we were riding on Glitterbutt to get Sophie's abilities fixed. I felt the shift in her deep emotions, and I felt her start to... I don't know. I labeled it as really trusting me for the first time. But every once in a while, late at night on my good days, I let myself dream that it was something more.

I stood up and reached for her face. The look on her face reminded me of that first day, a little disoriented, embarrassed... and so, so beautiful. But as soon as my fingertips made contact with her cheek, I frowned. She felt... afraid? And now that I was looking, I could see a hint of that fear in her eyes. I closed mine to concentrate on her emotions.

"Are you scared? Scared of... me?" I opened my eyes and looked at her. "Sophie?"

"No, Keefe. Not... not scared. Apprehensive is better. I'm sorry, I shouldn't have made you stop. You have every right to be mad at me. I humiliated you in front of everyone, and-"

I cut her off. What was she talking about? She thought this was her fault? She thought I would be mad at her? "Sophie."

She tried to continue. "I'm really sor-"

"Sophie! Listen to me!" I stepped closer to her and tilted her chin up so that she was looking me in the eyes. "Why on earth are you apologizing for not letting me get beat up?"

"I-"

"Sophie, we both know I didn't have a chance. I was just hoping to get a couple punches in and make him pay for... that. It was stupid of me. I was trying to be the hero again, and I'm sorry."