Chapter 19 | A Much-Needed Conversation

"Hello?" Sophie asked after pressing the answer button on her Imparter.

"Sophie." Biana's face appeared on the screen.

"Oh, hi Biana! What's up?"

"We need to talk."

"Uh..." What could Biana want to talk about? "Sure, want me to come to Everglen?"

"No. Rimeshire." Before Sophie could respond, Biana hung up. That's weird... she thought. I wonder what she wants to talk about. And at Rimeshire... could it have something to do with her and Dex? Or was Dex's house just neutral territory for an important conversation?

So Sophie slipped her shoes on and went downstairs.

"Mom? Dad? Biana hailed me and said she needed to talk to me at Rimeshire. She didn't say why. Can I be ungrounded to see what she needs?"

"Of course, darling. Just be back soon." Edaline smiled reassuringly.

"Will That Boy be there?" Grady asked suspiciously.

Sophie paused. "I don't know. I didn't ask."

He seemed reluctant. "Fine... but I want you home in an hour."

"Grady!" Edaline scolded. Then she turned to Sophie. "What he means is, be back before dark." Then she winked and dragged Grady away, silencing his protests.

Sophie sighed and went outside to the Leapmaster. As she stepped into the light, she wondered how worried she should be...

*****

"Biana?" Sophie called, looking around. No one was outside, so she went to the door and knocked. "Hello?"

Dex opened it. A smile flickered across his face when he saw her, before it disappeared. "Come on in. We're having a meeting."

"A... meeting? Like, a Team Valiant meeting?" That would make sense- Dex and Biana were both on that team. But Dex shook his head.

"No. Just- a friend meeting."

Now Sophie was really nervous. Did Biana arrange a group discussion? That seemed like something her friend would do. But... Sophie wasn't ready for that.

But it didn't seem to matter whether she was ready or not. Her friends were sitting in a circle in the atrium: Tam, then Linh, then Fitz. Biana sat down next to her brother and Dex claimed her other side. Sophie hesitated, then sat next to Dex.

"Is Keefe coming?" she asked. He seemed to be the only one missing.

Fitz snorted. "You would ask that."

But Biana silenced him with a glare. "Yes, Keefe is coming. He should be here..."

As if on cue, Keefe walked in the door and instantly scanned the room. "Someone move over. I'm not sitting next to Bangs Boy."

Sophie shot him a look before scooting closer to Tam. Keefe smirked and took the place Sophie had been in, next to Dex.

"Okay, guys. Listen up." Biana said bossily. "We all need to talk. There are a bunch of hard feelings between us, and I don't want it to ruin our friendships. So we each are going to take a turn telling our side of things, and really listen to everyone else. Sophie, I think you should go first."

Sophie did not want to go first. But she knew Biana was right, so she took a deep breath.

"Okay. So... where should I start?" She looked to Biana for help.

"How about the beginning? When you found out... you know. And be completely honest." She turned to the rest of the group. "That goes for everyone. Complete honesty."