Chapter 15 | Keefe

A/N Keefe's P.O.V! It might be a little off, so, um, yeah

I paid a little extra attention to my hair and uniform that morning. I was still a little (okay, a lot) freaked out by getting caught by Grady last night. I'm honestly sure I had a heart attack. And I couldn't stop thinking about Sophie. She'd obviously be mad at me for getting her in trouble, but how mad? Would she still want to date me? Not that we'd actually called it that yet...

When I stepped off the Leapmaster, I decided to wait for Sophie. So I leaned against the wall and started thinking. What would I say to her? Maybe I shouldn't have come to school. Maybe I should've given her some time to sort things out. She probably wouldn't want to talk to me- maybe she wasn't even allowed to.

I was about to leap home when I felt something on my shoulder. I turned my head a little and saw Sophie's face, her chin resting on my shoulder. That contact was enough to get a powerful reading of her emotions, and... she didn't feel mad at all. How is that possible? So I played along.

"Tricky Foster." I said as I turned around to face her. She put her arms around my neck and pulled me closer- though it didn't take much effort.

I was wondering if we were even going to talk about last night when she said in a playful voice: "You got me in trouble."

I swear I was going to apologize. I had it all planned out. But her mood was so happy and bubbly, I knew that wasn't what she wanted to hear. So I went for humor.

"Did I now? Wouldn't be the first time."

"Or the last."

She had a point. "Fair enough. How bad is it?"

I was barely listening as she complained about her new rules. All I could focus on was her face as she tried to look mad about Grady but was holding back a smile. The only thing I heard was when she said that there was absolutely no kissing around Grady. So I pretended to scan the room, then pulled her closer so that our faces touched.

"I don't see Grady." Yes, it was cheesy. But she was so beautiful. She hadn't put on makeup this morning, and I could tell she hadn't slept well. But that didn't change a thing. And I wanted to kiss her so badly it hurt.

I definitely heard when she said Edaline had called me her boyfriend. I liked the sound of that. "So... I have permission?"

"Do you need it?" Yes, actually. It's either permission from Grady or death from Grady. But I didn't say that.

"Not a bit. But it's nice to have it." I tilted my head a little so that my lips met hers softly. She surprised me by stepping up on her tiptoes, kissing me back. It was a kiss better than even the ones we'd shared last night, or when she decided to go public. That was probably the happiest I'd been in months. But this was better.

After a minute, I felt her lips curving into a smile. I pulled back a little. "Enjoying this?" She didn't answer, just pulling me back down. I didn't mind a bit. I kissed her like she was the only thing that mattered in the world- because she was.

And then, of course, Dizznee came and told us orientation was over. Foster freaked, saying Grady would consider this skipping a class. That must have been one of his rules. Bummer. As Dex left, he threw a remark over his shoulder that neither of us expected- "you guys are pretty cute together." Of course, he made sure we knew that Biana had made him say that.

"Did you hear that, Foster? We have Dizznacker's approval!" I was cracking up. It must have taken a lot of guts for Dex to say that to Sophie.

But all too soon, Sophie was gone to her sessions and I was alone in the hall.