Chapter 22 | Broken

A/N You guys hate the cliffhanger after the last chapter, don't you? Tell me! I'll try to make more like them!

Keefe's POV

When Sophie described a broken mind to me, she said that the memories were fractured. She said there were jagged edges everywhere. She said nothing made sense and the person wasn't usually conscious. I didn't understand what she meant. Now I do.

My mind was full of swirling memories. Tiny shreds of pictures and voices and emotions. But three images stood out in the center of my mind.

The first image had cracks running across it, distorting it. But it was clearly a picture of a tall, cruel-looking woman. I knew her... my mom. That was my mom, Lady Gisela. How did I forget her? In the picture, she was holding something out to me. A melder. That's when I recognized this image. It wasn't real. It was from the nightmares I'd had every night since Loamnore.

The second picture was a symbol I didn't recognise. I didn't spend too much time deciphering it, but it had cracks too.

I recognised the third picture immediately. It was a view of Sophie's face. Unlike the others, this picture had no cracks. It was perfect. I couldn't tell where she was in the picture, but she was younger. A couple years ago, probably.

Just then, a giant spike made from thousands of woven images hurtled past me, tearing through pictures and thoughts alike. As it passed me, I managed to catch a glimpse of it. It was full of images of my dad's face, his features twisted in anger or disgust. And it destroyed everything it touched.

I went back to staring at Sophie's face. I felt the cold blackness and sharp memories around me pulling and tugging, but I stayed focused on her eyes. They kept me above the surface. I knew if I let go of them, I would fall into the sea of pain and never make it back up.

I have no idea how long I stared desperately into her eyes, mentally calling for help. Time lost its meaning. I felt nothing from my body except occasional throbbing. I was completely absorbed in my mind.

It could have been years, or it could have been seconds, but I finally heard a voice. It seemed different from the thousands of voices shouting at me constantly from all angles. Softer, somehow. More solid. But scared. And full of pain.

Keefe?

Keefe. Keefe. That's me. I'm Keefe. Right?

Keefe, I don't know if you can hear me. Please don't give up. I will help you, I promise. But we have to wait until you're stronger. So rest, and don't give up. I love you, Keefe. Stay strong for me.

Stay strong. Don't give up. Rest. The words lost their meaning in the constant swarm around me. But what I did know was that I was getting weaker by the second. Until I heard her voice.

Sophie. That's who was talking. Sophie. Foster. The beautiful, strong, talented girl I would do anything to protect. I had failed her.

NO, KEEFE! Suddenly her voice blasted at me again. STOP IT. Don't you dare feel guilty. You didn't do anything wrong. I'm fine, you're fine, everyone's fine. I promise. Just keep yourself together a little longer.

I didn't do anything wrong? What did she mean? I- but no, that was a dream. Right? Every second, it became harder to separate my imagination from reality. But for a few precious moments, I let myself believe the words. It wasn't my fault.

Good, Keefe. That's right. Just sleep now. Sleep and rest. I can help you soon. I love you. And then she left. I wanted her to stay. But I was okay for now. I would hold myself together for her, until she returned.