Chapter 2 | Runaway Kisses

A/N Chapter 1 in Keefe's P.O.V!

I don't know what I was thinking when I pulled Foster into the light. I didn't plan on doing it. I just... I don't know. I wanted to tell her so many things, and Grady was about to come upstairs and ground me into pulp, and... I really do need to work on my impulse control.

Once she was there, I panicked. I made up some lame excuse about her wanting to clean my room. She obviously didn't believe me.

"Why did you bring me here? It can't be because you want your room clean."

I froze, then decided to be honest. Sort of. "Naw, you're right. I just figured you would, and since you'll be spending a lot of time here..."

"And why is that?"

"Because I'm pretty sure Grady's not letting me into Havenfield ever again." Which was very true.

"Good point. But is that really the only reason?"

"Nope, but I'm pretty sure I've already told you how cute you are when you're mad at me, so..." I don't know what made me say that. I mean, it isn't the first time I've told her that, but... it felt different that time. And she felt it too. I could tell. I don't remember stepping closer to her, but suddenly her emotions shifted and I realized I was really close. I almost stepped back, but... I don't know. Her emotions were hard to read. A guy can hope, right?

So I said something like "You still don't believe me?" and stepped a little closer. This time I did mean to. Foster's emotions spiked again and she blurted out some adorable nonsense.

"Well, you're cute when you're trying to make me mad, so..." Then she realized what she'd said and backtracked. "I mean..."

"It's okay, Foster. I know you think I'm cute. You're just shyer about saying it than I am." Again, I don't know why I said that. But she didn't seem to mind.

"When are you ever shy?" she asked.

"Hardly ever, I guess. Only when it comes to you. I hold a lot back, you know." Truer words were never spoken- but I still don't know why I said them. Again, I didn't plan any of this. Well... unless dreams count. I don't think she believed that I hold back, but I do. I hold back every day. I want to tell her I love her, tell her I don't care about her match status, tell her I would never yell at her. I want to kiss her. So, so, badly. So I decided, what better time to let her know? She just broke up with Fitz. It definitely can't hurt anything. Right?

I hesitated a moment, then took a deep breath. "Look, Sophie..." I took another breath. Apparently I'm not as brave as I thought. "Do you trust me?"

Sophie seemed surprised. "Of course I trust you, Keefe!"

"No, I mean really trust me. I know I've made a bunch of stupid mistakes, and you always say you'll never hate me, but..."

"Keefe." This time Sophie took a step towards him, so close their feet were nearly touching. He could feel her warm breath on his cheeks.

"I promise you, no matter what you do, I would never- could never- hate you. In fact..." Sophie couldn't seem to force the words out. But I felt her emotions, loud and clear. So I finished for her.

"I love you."

All my doubts and fear and promises holding me back disappeared and I leaned closer. She was just so, so beautiful. And I could feel her emotions, remember? And for once I let myself believe them.

But then, of course, stupid Dad of the Year walked in, telling Sophie that Grady and Edaline were looking for her. Her emotions shifted again, to humiliation and anger and disappointment. And... maybe a tiny bit of that was regret. And anger at herself. And I wanted to kick myself for it. She wasn't ready. I knew that. But stupid me wanted to kiss her anyway. So I settled for kicking everything else in my room.

I didn't look at her, but I knew she was in the corner of my room hiding behind her hair. Probably pulling out an eyelash too.

"I should..."

"Yeah. I... I guess so. But come back another time, okay? You haven't cleaned my room, remember?" I tried to force a smile. Ugh, why did I say that? She didn't need my stupid jokes.

But she played along. "How could I forget? Umm... how am I going to get home?"

"I have a spare crystal here somewhere..." I wasn't planning on telling her this, but I always keep a crystal to Havenfield. I knew exactly where it was, but I opened a couple of drawers anyway before pulling one out. "Here." I handed it to her, still avoiding her gaze.

I turned away so I wouldn't have to watch her leave. I was still mentally kicking myself when I heard soft footsteps behind me. I turned around, surprised.

"I thought you had to go home."

"Won't kill them to wait a couple more minutes." What was that supposed to mean? Did she really just say that? I watched, not able to move, as she stepped closer. As if in a dream (which I know because I see it every night) she stood up on her tiptoes and leaned towards me, closing her eyes.

I snapped out of my trance and placed one hand on her waist and the other in her hair. And then I kissed her. And it was perfect.

I couldn't form coherent thoughts. All I could do was stand there and kiss her. Nothing else mattered. But then she was pulling away. And I couldn't help it- I pulled her back in.

I have no idea how long it was, but we eventually broke apart. I decided to keep being honest.

"I've wanted to do that for a very long time."

"I think I have too. I just didn't know it." She said that. She really did. I almost pinched myself to be sure I wasn't dreaming. And then I kissed her again.

I knew she had to go if I ever wanted to see her again. Which I did. So I kissed her one last time, pulling her crystal out of her pocket and raising it to the light for her. The hardest thing I've ever done was let the light pull her away. I didn't take my eyes off hers until she was gone completely.

I stood there, mute and unthinking, for probably hours. Then I sighed and collapsed onto my bed, really, truly, happy for the first time in years.