Chapter 12 | Girl Talk & Dad Talk

A/N Chapter 11 in Keefe's P.O.V

I had been staring at my Imparter, waiting for Sophie's hail. I knew I was being irrational, but I kept thinking that maybe- just maybe- she'd forgotten about me. And so what if she had? She had every right to have other friends, and spend time with them. She had every right to not want to be with me every second. But... I missed her.

"Are you still sitting there?" Ro asked incredulously.

I looked up. "What time is it?"

"Nine. You've been sitting there staring at that thing for an hour and a half."

Had it really been that long? Ro sighed and left, and I turned back to the Imparter. Suddenly it lit up with Sophie's face.

"Hey!" I said, maybe a little too eagerly.

"Hi. Biana just left- want to come over?"

"Sure." Sure? It was the only thing I wanted! I probably set a record for how fast I leaped to her house- and that's saying something.

She told me about how Biana had reacted to hearing the news about Fitz... kissing Sophie. I still hadn't really decided how I felt about that. I mean, she's her own person. We're together, but we haven't used the word 'dating,' or 'boyfriend-girlfriend.' I don't know if she's ready for that. I just... I don't know. It just made me feel... weird... that she had kissed Fitz. I mean, they have history. So that's why I blurted out what I did.

"Sophie..."

"Yeah?" She sounded surprised. I guess my tone probably sounded pretty weird.

"Did it... did you... was it..." I trailed off. I didn't know exactly what I meant, and I sure wasn't going to finish the sentence.

"What are you talking about, Keefe?"

"I mean... when Fitz kissed you... was it..." And now I was hoping that she wouldn't figure it out. I was about to say 'nevermind' when I felt her emotion shift. Seemed like... disbelief?

"You are crazy, Keefe. Are you seriously jealous?" She looked like she was trying not to laugh.

"Uh..." Maybe that's what this feeling was. It's stupid, I know. But...

"Keefe. I think the fact that he's gone showed you how much I liked it."

I wanted to let it go, but for some reason I couldn't. "So you're sure you didn't..."

"Keefe! Look at me!" I didn't, until she put her hands on my face and tuned it towards her. I liked that. "Let it go." And she pulled my face towards her, kissing me.

It took me a second, but I shoved away my worries. I could feel her emotions. She was telling the truth. She really hadn't liked Fitz's kiss. That made me feel... better. So I tilted my head and kissed her back. Maybe I'm a jealous jerk. I don't know.

I have no idea how long we kissed, but when we finally parted it had started to darken outside.

"In case you were wondering..." Sophie said a minute later, slightly dazed. "Him kissing me was nothing like that."

"Good." As she laughed, I pulled her back in and kissed her again.

Suddenly, she was pulling away and I realized there was a noise at the door. I had been so lost, kissing her, that I hadn't realized the door was wide open.

"What. In. The. Forbidden. Cities. Is. GOING. ON?"

Grady.

I'm not proud of this, but I probably jumped so far away from Sophie I practically went to visit the Point of Purity myself. "It... uh... I..." I stuttered. How do you apologize for kissing a girl to her super overprotective dad?

"Dad..." Sophie tried.

But Grady raised his hands to stop her. "I don't want to hear it. You-" He pointed to me. "Leave. Out. Now. and you-" he moved his gaze to Sophie. "We will be having a long conversation."

I looked at Sophie, trying to tell her I was sorry. "I... uh... bye, I guess."

"Out." Grady interrupted.

Yes, I ran. Again, not proud. But Grady is scary! So I gave Sophie one last glance and scampered upstairs.

Okay, I did eavesdrop from upstairs. Couldn't help it. I heard Grady chewing her out, and almost walked back down there and told him it was my fault. But I knew that would only make things worse, so I didn't. When he left, I hurried to leap away.

I must've been a mess when I got home, but Ro didn't say anything. I was worried about Sophie, and pretty guilty for getting her in trouble. I'd talk to her in the morning.