Chapter Five | Kingdom Come

|AUTHORS NOTE|

To the side is the fabulous song from the Hunger Games: Songs from District 12 and beyond CD, Kingdom Come by the Civil Wars, in this story it will have a bit of a big part. This won't be the last time it's mentioned!

Stay classy!

_______

The air was damp every morning in District Four. But it seemed especially cold to Quinn that morning, probably because she hadn't had any morphling to help get rid of her throbbing headache. But Mags needed a few things, and since Quinn was going to the market in Four anyway she agreed to get her what she needed. But she had promised that before she had a headache like this one. But she couldn't have backed out, she never would have heard the end of it from Annie.

"You shouldn't rely on morphling, Quinn."

She could already hear Annie scolding her. But who was Annie to judge? When she first won the games, she went absolutely insane. She had to be sent off to the Capitol for a few weeks until she was mentally stable enough to live in Four again! Quinn knew Annie only wanted Quinn to be alright, and slowly, she was getting better too. She had even come to terms with the fact that she was going to be a mentor.

"Isn't it a bit early for you to be up so early, my dear?"

Quinn looked up from watching her feet step into the warehouse that had been changed into a market. On the other side of the makeshift counter stood Elijah. She wasn't sure what his last name was, sometimes she doubted he even knew her name. But he had been a friend of Mags' when she was a kid and even after she became a Victor. He had dark skin, and kind brown eyes. His hair had gone white years earlier, but he was still pretty active for someone who lived like he did for as long as he did.

The bakers in Four gave him the burnt, or old goods. Probably because he looked like he could use the food. But instead of keeping it himself, he brought it to the market and sold it real cheap to get some cash or he gave it away. He always saved the sweets for the kids, they knew to stop and see him at least twice a week after school.

"Yeah, it is." she sighed, "I don't remember getting up this early for awhile."

He smiled a bit, "My grandpa used to say you only have as much time in the day as you give yourself, it's not a bad idea to get a move on in the mornings."

Quinn smirked a bit, "Yeah, I guess." she replied, "Is Mrs. Andrews here yet? I need to pick up a few things and then get some stuff for Mags."

"Is she alright?" he asked, "She doesn't usually pass up the chance to come out to see everyone."

"She's just feeling a bit under the weather. And the cold doesn't help." Quinn said simply and she messed with the leather strap on her bag.

He let out a long sigh with a nod, "I know that feeling, our bones can't take so much of this cold like they used to."

"If you want I could bring you some blankets-- anything really." Quinn replied, "I've got plenty."

He waved a hand at her and shook his head, "Don't you worry about me, I've gotten used to it."

Quinn smiled a bit. She knew that even if she did bring him something, he'd only give it away. He wasn't the type of person to keep anything for himself.

"I should be going," she sighed.

He nodded in reply, but then held up a single finger as if to stop her. "I can't let people think I let kids leave without anything."

"Oh, no, Elijah I don't need anything." she retorted quickly as he began to dig through a box. "Besides, the younger ones will want it more than me."