Chapter One | A New Game

After Coins announcement had been released, Quinn hurried to the Samuals compartment. They had a big family, three kids-- and considering how small compartments were that was a crowded one. There was Otto and Hadley, she was one of the Doctors in Thirteen. She had escaped from Twelve after her grandfather had died. Then they had three kids, Quentin-- named after Quinn's brother. He was eighteen. Then there was Dylan, she was about eleven months younger than Quinn was. Then the youngest was Athennia, or Nia as everyone called her.

Quinn had a different relationship with each of them. Nia preferred to listen to stories about the Capitol from Orion at meal times than to speak with Quinn. But she still followed her close if she thought that there was a chance she could get a quick story in with Orion. He six year old mind didn't really understand how awful things were, she just liked the good stories about the Capitol. Dylan couldn't stand Quinn, she tolerated her but she didn't enjoy her company just as much as Quinn didn't enjoy hers. Quinn and Quinten didn't mind each other, in fact they got along quite well. They were both skeptical of things, they weren't positive thinkers-- they were both had a temper too. Quinten was just better at controlling his.

Quinn got along really well with Otto and Hadley. Otto still aside time for Quinn each day or at least whenever he could. It was nice finally having some sort of father-figure, it was different. Quinn still wasn't sure how she felt about that, but she couldn't turn her back on Otto. He felt guilty he had left the Mavericks in District Four. He felt guilty that Quinn had lost everyone, absolutely everyone. Now she only had the Samuals and a few other select people. Hadley was very...pampering in a way. She didn't like that Coin had only wanted her there to help the Rebellion. She didn't like that Quinn was a part of it.

Both of them were pretty accepting of Orion too. Hadley had been a bit more leery of him because of where he had been from, a lot of people had been that way at first. But Otto assured Hadley that he wasn't all that bad at all, he just had a mind of his own, had trouble with some rules...that was why he hadn't liked the Capitol.

But once Quinn made it to the compartment, Dylan and Quinten were already ready. Otto had gotten them a small side job of hunting above ground. It got them a few privileges, and some fresh air along with a bit of sun. But since Quinn had a few days off from training to get basic training in other fields like medical and technology, Otto told her to join Dylan and Quinten above ground.

"Have you ever hunted before, Quinn?" Nia asked from the table where she was doing the school work she had to do.

"Not animals," Quinn sighed, as she uncomfortably adjusted her jacket that she had kept from their hike to Thirteen. "Just berries and such." she added quickly, Nia was young enough that she may not have caught what Quinn had said.

No I haven't hunted animals, but I've hunted people. That was what she meant. Dylan and Quinten seemed to catch it but they said nothing, they just turned their attention back to the small guns and the silencer they were putting on them.

"Well it's fun," Nia smiled, "When it's really nice out, sometimes I get to go with and we have a picnic."

"That sounds like a lot of fun," Quinn said, smiling a bit.

Nia nodded in agreement.

Dylan then sighed as she stood up from her seat. "We should get going, we don't want to wait until everything's wandered away for the day."

Quinten gave Dylan a small disapproving look, as if to tell her to let Nia keep up the conversation for a bit longer. But in return, Dylan rolled her eyes and shifted on her feet uncomfortably as she adjusted her jacket before zipping it up.

"I'll see you later, okay?" Quinn sighed looking down at Nia. She smiled and nodded, and then the three of them turned and made their way out of their room and to the lift.