Chapter Seven | Disconnected

As soon as Quinn got back to her apartment, she changed into more comfortable clothes and went and laid down in her room. She couldn't watch the television, she didn't want to see the final scores that Seneca had finalised. She didn't want to hear what Caesar and anyone else had to say about the tributes. She just wanted to sink away somewhere where the games weren't a thing-- she would gladly go back to ancient times. Before hovercrafts, projection screens...everything that Panem had she didn't care about if it meant she could go somewhere without the games.

Quinn had her blankets pulled tightly around her, and over her face so it would seem like nighttime. Having to fake liking being on this side of the games, it was more exhausting than the early morning training in Thirteen. Quinn was just greatful that she had been able to go right home afterwards, she wasn't going to do anything in public unless she absolutely had to or was told to. She was going to disconnect herself as much as possible from whatever she could, and since she didn't have morphling to help her do that, sleeping would have to be good enough.

I could probably get some morphling, she thought. It can't be that had to get here.

Quinn sighed heavily, the apartment came stocked up with everything she could possibly need. And morphling wasn't just used for pain, it was used to help people sleep. On top of that, Orion had even said that it was used often in the Capitol. So with that thought in mind, she kicked off the blankets and walked out of her room and across the hall into the nice bathroom. There was a nice standing shower, but there was also a tub with a variety of different sized jets for bubbles. It was much nicer than the bathroom in Thirteen, Victor's Village, and the Tribute Center. Quinn couldn't deny it, the Capitol people only had the best. And it wasn't all that bad all the time.

Quinn pulled open the medicine cabinet and began pulling things out.

24 Hour Pain

Nausea-No-More

Green Dye

The last one caught her eyes, so she turned it around in her hand. Only to see that it was meant for water, and would dye her skin color to a light pastel green. Quinn rolled her eyes, that was the stupidest fashion trend that ever came out of the Capitol. So those along with any other skin dye she found, she tossed in the trash. There was some liquid bandaid in the cabinet along with some gauze, a box of syringes and then a box of needles too. Then finally, just like she expected there was a small vile of morphling. She took it out, turning it around in her hand, it felt full still...

Quinn nearly dropped it when she heard a knock on the apartment door. She quickly began to pile things back into the cabinet, it took her long enough that whoever it was knocked a second time. Quinn hurried to the door, looking out the small peep-hole to see that it was only Orion.

"What?" Quinn asked as she pulled the door open.

"What? I can't stop by to see how your first day of work went?" he replied walking past her into the sitting room. "Plus, your apartment is much more comfortable than the mansion."

Quinn sighed, "Seriously, what do you want? I'm not in the mood to talk."

He raised an eyebrow sharply, "So it didn't go well today?"

"No...well, I guess it did." she shrugged.

"What's wrong then?" Orion pressed further for more information as he plopped down on in one of the two arm chairs in her sitting room.

Quinn thought for a moment, shrugging as she seated herself on the couch and then putting her feet up. "We're setting Katniss Everdeen up for hell, that's what." she stated, "If she gets labeled a rebel, things won't be easy for her."

"Things won't be easy for her if she isn't labeled one either." he replied, "But that's not what's really wrong...is it?"

Quinn frowned, "I don't know how to explain things, okay?" she replied, "Just last year I was in the same position that Katniss is in now. And I feel like I'm fifty."

"You don't look it," Orion retorted quickly. Smirking a bit, just his smirk quickly vanished when he realised that Quinn really wasn't in the mood for any jokes. "Quinn, you've been through a lot. And there's going to be a lot more,"

"You aren't helping, Orion-"

"You didn't let me finish." he stated with a long sigh. "There's going to be a lot more, but you just have to remember what we're working towards."

"What we're working towards?" Quinn questioned quickly, "I don't see you getting out in charge of helping kill kids in the arena, you weren't the one who negotiated with Snow about not bombing Thirteen--"

"And I don't see you doing much to convince Panem you're happy here either," he retorted. "This isn't any easier for me than it is for you, Quinn."

"Did you have to kill people for everyone's entertainment? Do you have to see tributes faces every time you sleep? Or hear a canon because of every loud sound? Or have your grandfather after you?" Quinn snapped, she could feel her stomach churning with frustration and anger. "You don't understand."

"Yeah, you're right I've never been in the arena. I don't know what that's like. But I do know what it's like to have my grandfather hate me and want to kill me." he retorted sharply, "We are both on the same side, I'm not the enemy."

"Could have fooled me," she mumbled.

Orion scoffed, "Do you actually think I'm happy to be back?"

"Orion you were complaining about not getting to have piercings in Thirteen." she reminded him, "You don't seem to be too disappointed with the treatment you get here."

"You know as well ask I do some of the rules that Thirteen has are bullshit." he retorted, "And you're right, I don't mind being able to dye my hair, have my piercings, and my own clothes that aren't all grey and look the same." he added, "But I'd rather be in all grey and actually trying to do something, and actually want to fight back against the Capitol instead of sitting on my ass and feeling sorry for myself." he stated, "Sorry I'm trying to keep my side of the deal too, calming everything down and getting people's mind off of what's happened. But you should know it would be a hell of a lot easier if you'd help me and end your pity-party."

"I am trying,"

Orion sighed, "People are thinking that you don't like this job. Even though it's true, you could at least try to sell it a bit more."

"It's not that easy, Orion. Not after last years game, if I wasn't a Victor it'd be easier-"

Orion scoffed again as he stood up. "Whatever, Quinn. Enjoy your pity-party." he sighed, waving a hand at her. "I'll convince everyone we both love being here and that you love your new job." he stated as he walked towards the door. But before he left he turned back to her, "You know, when I first saw you on your interview for your games...I thought you were a lot tougher than this. Then after we left Four, I thought you'd actually want to fight back and not just let other people tell you want to do."

"Sorry to disappoint you then." Quinn replied, crossing her arms and looking away from him and towards the window that looked out over the city. Then with that Orion left the apartment, leaving Quinn to think about everything they'd said. Leaving her to realise that he had been right.