ix. your hand in mine

CHAPTER NINE:YOUR HAND IN MINE

CHAPTER NINE:
YOUR HAND IN MINE

■ ■ ■ ■

"FOR THE LOVE OF Merlin, would you stop fidgeting?" Emery made a sound somewhere between a huff of annoyance and a chuckle of amusement as Keegan shifted in her chair for what felt like the hundredth time that afternoon.

"Sorry," she sighed, then winced as Emery's curling iron tugged at her hair just a bit too hard. "Is this really necessary, Em?"

"Remind me, did George specify if this was a date?" she asked, prompting a confused frown to form on her face. Emery had been asking for the details ever since Keegan first told her, she practically knew everything there was to know about her and George.

"Yes…?"

"Then yes, Keegan, this is necessary." At that, a look of realisation replaced the confusion. She quite obviously rolled her eyes in the mirror, causing Emery to give a grin of amusement as she ran the brush through the end of Keegan's hair. "Merlin, would you stop worrying so much? I'm almost done."

"Okay," she breathed out, absentmindedly playing with the two gold rings she was wearing on her right hand. "I don't even know why I'm anxious. It's not like I haven't been alone with him before."

"Exactly," Emery hummed. She reached for one of the tins of hairspray to hold down a few flyaways, then she stepped back to circle Keegan with a cross between a proud smile and a smirk. "And done! Just like I said I would be."

Keegan took a minute to really look at herself (she'd been watching along as Emery curled her hair and pinned half of it up with a maroon bow, but time seemed to pass by in flashes as her stomach danced wildly) thinking back just a week and a half ago to the not-a-date. She recalled the previous confidence she felt as it soared through her veins again, though she tried not to show it as Emery watched her expectantly.

"Not bad," she shrugged.

Emery only rolled her eyes in disbelief. "Just wait for the full outfit. You'll be changing your tune, then."

With that, she was carefully unhooking the hangers from the back of the door and placing Keegan's neatly ironed outfit into her arms. This time, she'd chosen a slightly dressier pleated black skirt to pair with her trusty ankle boots, sheer black stockings and a dark maroon knitted sweater. Only in the bathroom for a minute, Keegan walked back out to hear Emery's final thoughts.

The dark-haired girl squealed in delight, her eyes bright as she moved to roll up Keegan's sweater sleeves and adjust her hair over her shoulders. "I should really just become your personal stylist at this point."

"Now, don't get too ahead of yourself," Keegan scoffed, though she couldn't hold back a smile anymore as she looked into the mirror again. 

It was like time had repeated itself as someone knocked on the front door. With Emery gesturing for her to go, she quickly reached for her black over-the-shoulder handbag and her wand, then she made her way out of the room to answer it. George stood on the other side in that same casual stance as before, hands in the pockets of his jeans and a bright grin that seemed to match his forest green jumper effortlessly.