ii. regular order

CHAPTER TWO:REGULAR ORDER

CHAPTER TWO:
REGULAR ORDER

■ ■ ■ ■ ■

MY DARLING GIRL,

How are you settling in, love? Have you unpacked yet? I'd be more than happy to come over and help you if you haven't. Just name a time and date, and I can be there. Have you met your neighbours yet? I do hope they're nice people, not nosy or rude? Make sure you're taking good care of yourself, my darling, I'd hate for you to have a turn while no one is there to help you. Do you remember what to do if you get dizzy? Of course you do, what am I on about? Oh, please come visit soon, I know it's only been a week and I'm being a bit overbearing right now, but I just miss you so much. So do Eleanor and Genevieve, your sister would like to come see you soon.

Write back when you can!

All my love, mum xx

Keegan grinned down at her mother's letter, taking in the chicken scratch that she'd grown accustomed to deciphering over the years her mother had written her letters. Reaching into her open desk drawer, she drew out a spare piece of parchment and a blue muggle pen. With a quick glance at the clock on her desk, she began to write.

Dear mum,

I'm settling in just fine, thanks. I'm almost done unpacking so you don't need to worry about coming over, but I promise that you and the girls can visit when everything is ready. Make sure you say hello for me and tell them I miss them too! As for the neighbours, I've only met the woman who lives on my right. She's around Gen's age and has a beautiful baby son. They're not nosy or rude, they like to keep to themselves, but they're also kind so I like them well enough. Yes, I know what to do if I get dizzy, I have my emergency jelly beans in my work bag and I'm eating regular meals (and before you ask, yes, with added salt and water on the side!) Anyway, I have to go to work now, but I'll do my best to write tomorrow!

Love and miss you too, Keegan x

Happy with what she'd written, she tucked the folded piece of paper into an envelope and sealed it shut with one of the scented muggle flower stickers that her mum loved so much. This one was rose scented, something she knew Eleanor would also appreciate. Adding the family name to the front of the envelope, she rose from her leather desk chair and crossed the room to where her tawny barn owl, Marlowe, was asleep in her cage.

"Marlowe," Keegan cooed, holding her arm out in Marlowe's direction and slowly coaxing her out of the cage. Marlowe hooted at the sight of Keegan, hopping onto her wrist and sticking out her leg knowingly. Keegan tied the letter quickly before scratching at Marlowe's feathers with a giggle. "Take this to Mamma Viv for me."

She moved over to the window, using her spare hand to push aside the cream curtains. She slid open the glass pane and propped her arm outside, shaking her hand to encourage Marlowe to leave. She soared into the morning sun, quickly disappearing from Keegan's view with her letter around her leg. Keegan lingered to watch her for a moment before remembering the time and cursing. She'd always had trouble managing her time, but in the week she'd lived alone without her rule-abiding mother there to shake her awake each morning, Keegan found her poor time management skills had hit a new low.