xii. love kills

CHAPTER TWELVE:LOVE KILLS

CHAPTER TWELVE:
LOVE KILLS

■ ■ ■ ■ ■

KEEGAN DAYDREAMED OF YELLOW sunflowers swaying in the sunlight. Even at work with them waiting all the way in her apartment, she thought of them as she kept an eye out for George. Every flash of red caught her eye. Every little sound reminded her of his laugh. She ended up breezing through each of her tasks for the day with only half her mind in the cafè, something that Emery was quick to notice once Keegan started mopping the same square metre of tile for ten minutes straight, her eyes firmly locked on the windows.

"I see you're feeling better," she said as a smirk crept onto her face. Keegan quickly averted her gaze away, wincing at the spotless section of tile. She heaved the bucket of dirty water and the mop into the kitchen, flushing at Emery's knowing look. Keegan Delaney wasn't made to be subtle, but in moments like those, it felt like she hadn't truly left her school-girl days behind her after all. Shaking her head, she tipped the water down the drain, then hurried back out behind the counter with her boss on her heels. "You know you can't avoid me, Keegs."

"I'm not," she insisted, though she cursed to herself at the emptiness of the cafè. There went any plausible excuses for escape.

"Okay, then care to tell me what happened?"

Keegan just shrugged in her best attempt at appearing nonchalant. "I went out for lunch with mum. I suppose that was nice."

"Hm, and did you see George along the way, by any chance?" she questioned, only to be met with caught-out silence. "I'm going to take that as a yes."

"Okay, I didn't see him," she clarified with a sheepish sigh. Emery scoffed. "I didn't! But he did leave a bunch of flowers at my apartment door. Sunflowers."

"You're favourite?" Emery guessed. Keegan nodded, her lips twitching instinctively into a smile that she failed to hide from her boss. "Aw, how cute."

"It's not a big deal," she muttered while pulling out a rag to dust down the counter. It was already perfectly clean and both of them knew it, but she just couldn't stay still under Emery's gaze. There were still no customers inside, leaving Keegan with her full attention, regardless of whether she wanted it or not.

"Hm, tell that to that smile of yours," she said, her eyes lighting up as the doorbell suddenly trilled and someone stepped inside.

"I'm not smiling," Keegan exclaimed at the same time, a lot louder than she'd intended.

"And why not, Delaney?" a voice cooed as they approached the register.