xv. heart and home

CHAPTER FIFTEEN:HEART AND HOME

CHAPTER FIFTEEN:
HEART AND HOME

■ ■ ■ ■ ■

THE BURROW WAS NOT what Keegan had expected George’s childhood home to look like, but somehow it made a lot of sense. Just by looking at the crooked house -- at its stone walls stacked several storeys high, the gabled roof with the five mismatched chimneys on top, and the old wooden sign hammered into the grassy yard that read The Burrow -- Keegan knew it was a place for a family like the Weasleys; lived in, full to the brim with love and warmth. It wasn't much, but it was theirs, and that was more than enough.

George squeezed her hand as they reached the door, shooting her a look that seemed to ask are you sure you're ready for this? He wasn't ashamed of his home. Rather, he looked at the mess of shoes on the porch, listened to the shriek of chickens clucking away in the yard, and seemed to relax at long last. Keegan smiled at him. No, but there's no going back now, her look answered. With his free hand, George reached for the peeling bronze handle and led the way inside.

"George? Is that you?" a woman's voice called from somewhere down the hallway.

"It's me, mum," George confirmed as he and Keegan approached the kitchen.

Eagerly, a red-haired woman rushed around the corner to greet him, dusting her hands on the apron she wore over her floral dress. "Oh, when Fred arrived without you, I was so confused -- now who's this, dear?" Keegan smiled shyly as Molly Weasley's eyes met hers. They were the same shade as George's, brightening when she grinned back just as fiercely.

"Mum, this is Keegan," George introduced her with a sigh. "Who you already knew was coming, so please don't make a big deal out of--"

"Keegan! Oh, it's so lovely to meet you." Much to Keegan's surprise, Mrs Weasley didn't hesitate to pull her into a hug. The scent of floral perfume and cooking spices was strong, but Keegan found she rather liked it. It seemed to suit Mrs Weasley's kind face, and the home she and her husband had worked so hard to provide for their children. When George let out another sigh of impatience, tugging on Keegan's wrist, his mother pulled away from her to glare at him. "Now, George, there's no need for attitude."

George's face went a bright shade of red. He shot Keegan an embarrassed look that she chuckled fondly at. "Mum," he hissed, attempting to sound stern, but Mrs Weasley was having none of it.

"I mean it, George Fabian. Not another word."

"Your middle name is Fabian?" Keegan frowned as George's face continued to burn. "I didn't know that."

"Yes, dear, he's named after my brother," Mrs Weasley exclaimed as she ushered the couple into the kitchen where Fred was waiting. He shot the duo a shit-eating grin that George scowled at, flopping down into the seat beside him and watching woefully as his mother doted over his girlfriend. "And Fred was named after my other brother, Gideon. They were twins, too, you see…"