vii. high hopes

CHAPTER SEVEN:HIGH HOPES

CHAPTER SEVEN:
HIGH HOPES

■ ■ ■ ■

KEEGAN FELT LIKE A hormonal teenage girl, and rest assured, it was not a nice feeling. A week had gone by since George promised to take her out to dinner and Keegan had slowly begun to wonder if he'd forgotten all about it. Not that she'd admit it, but the thought had disappointed her. George Weasley was always somebody Keegan admired from afar; in her Hogwarts days, her first and only relationship was with Alicia Spinnet in their fourth year, lasting two months before eventually ending in a mutual loss of feelings. Keegan wasn't the type to go out of her way to pursue romance, so whatever was happening now with George, while desired, was entirely new for her. Which is why it was such a surprise that Friday evening when the man himself actually came to the cafè (which, by some almighty miracle, had seen a small but helpful rise in customers since Emery was forced to seek out her parents for money) and asked for her address to pick her up the next day, telling her to dress comfortably before he rushed off to meet Fred. Keegan had stared after him with wide eyes before Emery stepped into her line of vision wearing a smug smirk as she demanded to know every detail about this 'not a date' that was totally a date. 

She even took it upon herself to come around to Keegan's late Saturday afternoon; as suspected, she found Keegan flustered about the fact she was in a fluster, unused to the butterflies in her stomach no matter how many times she felt them. It was just a thank you dinner (lie) what did she have to feel nervous about? Nevertheless, the sight of a grinning Emery Fawley on her doorstep had her sighing in relief, opening the door wide enough to let her through.

"Thank Merlin you're here," she breathed out as she wrapped her arms around her in an amused side hug. "I have no clue what to wear."

"I thought it wasn't a date, so why does it matter?" Emery raised an eyebrow at her. When Keegan gave an unimpressed glower, she chuckled and let her arm drop from where it rested on her waist. "Alright, show me what you've got. I'm sure we can find something that George thinks is attractive."

"W-What, that isn't important to me-" 

But Keegan's protests were ignored as Emery stepped further into the apartment, nodding appreciatively at the interior (which filled Keegan with pride) and pushing open doors until she eventually found the one that clearly belonged to Keegan's bedroom. With a tut at the mess she had made of her wardrobe, Emery rolled up the sleeves of her blue and black flannel (talk about Ravenclaw pride) and stepped inside.

"Right, leave me to pick something out," she declared as she turned to look at Keegan with a smug grin on her lips. For once, Keegan didn't see Emery Fawley as her boss. Rather, she was a friend, a confidant, something she hadn't had since Cedric. It hurt a little, but it spoke of new beginnings. "You, my darling, need to fix that mop you call hair, you don't have much time."