vi. fatal flaw

CHAPTER SIX:FATAL FLAW

CHAPTER SIX:
FATAL FLAW

■ ■ ■ ■

EMERY FAWLEY WANTED A whole lot more out of life than life was prepared to give. That was something that Keegan had noticed a lot in the darker days, times when the bags under her friend's eyes were more noticeable than ever. Emery Fawley had hopes that were sky-high. Perhaps it came from her mother, Elora, a shrewd but warm-hearted woman sorted into the house of Ravenclaw (like mother, like daughter!) who thirsted for knowledge in every opportunity the universe wished to provide her with. Or maybe it came from her father, Atticus, a prestigious Slytherin man who worked hard in the Ministry of Magic's Law Enforcement office. It might even come from her aunt, uncle and younger cousin, people who treated Emery like their own daughter/sister when her mother was busy chasing opportunities around the globe and her father was focused on upholding his duty to the Ministry. Emery loved her parents, that much Keegan knew from how much she mentioned them, but there was a longing in her heart for more, both from them and from the world. She hadn't admitted it yet, but Keegan had the sneaking suspicion that Emery hoped, by opening her own business that didn't crumble under the pressure, she might've finally made them proud.

Of course, however, the way of the world didn't always work out in your favour. When Keegan got to the café a few days after Gen's visit, the sign on the door hadn't been turned from 'closed' to 'open' and the only light switched on inside the building was the office light. At the sight of Emery's pride and joy so quiet and withdrawn, Keegan froze, affronted.

'Did I read the shift schedule wrong?' she thought with a frown. Her heart skipped a beat; suddenly, all she could feel were eyes on her.

As usual, Diagon Alley was quiet and eerie, but something was different this time. Not wishing to linger too long, Keegan decided to try the door, tugging at the handle hesitantly and blinking in surprise when the door actually opened. Emery never left the café unlocked if no one was going to be there. In her first week, she'd gotten Keegan her own pair of keys for both entrances plus the windows in case of an emergency. She wouldn't leave the door open - there was just no way.

Swallowing thickly, Keegan stepped inside. The bell trilled over her head, a loud siren piercing in the silence. Not wanting to be caught off guard, Keegan reached for her wand, holding it tight as she made her way over to the office. The door was left open a crack, a sliver of light along the linoleum beneath Keegan's feet. She could hear shuffling coming from inside like someone was searching through the paperwork. With a sigh, Keegan knew what she had to do.

And so, before she could change her mind, she was nudging the door open, her wand held in front of her fearfully. Emery Fawley stared back at her with shocked eyes.

"Merlin," Keegan let out, allowing her arm to drop to her side. "You scared the shit out of me, Em."

"Me?" the dark-haired girl questioned incredulously. "You scared me crashing in here with your wand pointed at me."