xi. sunflower yellow

CHAPTER ELEVEN:SUNFLOWER YELLOW

CHAPTER ELEVEN:
SUNFLOWER YELLOW

■ ■ ■ ■

HER MOTHER'S HUG WAS a warm welcome after a week spent cooped up in her apartment stricken by anxiety. Keegan hadn't felt right ever since that visit to Fred and George's flat. At first, she put it down to a stomach bug, but that wary feeling twisting around in her gut just wouldn't go away. It followed her to work, whispering woes into her ears until she was watching over her shoulder every second for Death Eaters waiting to strike. Emery ended up giving her the week off after her third anxious day, and Keegan had been hiding out ever since. Her mother had started sending letters on the fourth day, and by the seventh, she was demanding for Keegan to come see her. Vivian knew how her daughter could get sometimes, she wouldn't rest until she felt safe enough in her surroundings again.

That was where Keegan was going that morning, to visit her mother. The older woman had found a restaurant a mere three minute walk from where her daughter lived and demanded she meet her there. Keegan, knowing her mother would drag her there by her hair if she didn't show up, had nervously dressed and apparated down the street, not wanting to risk the walk despite doing it everyday.

"It's about time you showed your face," Vivian had muttered after three minutes spent holding Keegan in her arms. "You had us worried for a bit."

"I'm sorry," Keegan murmured, to which she just patted her on the cheek and stepped back, gesturing for them to sit down at the table she'd reserved.

It didn't take them long to order, Vivian already knowing what she wanted while Keegan ended up choosing a simple ham and cheese toastie, the thought of George on her brain. The two sat in silence for a while. The only time one of them spoke was when the young waitress, who looked fresh out of muggle college, shuffled over to them with their tray and Vivian thanked her heartily. Eventually, though, she looked up at her daughter with an expectant smirk, a tinge of hope to the gesture.

"So," she hummed, taking a bite of her croissant when Keegan raised an eyebrow at her. "How was that date you went on?" She giggled like a schoolgirl, mouthing, "With that George Weasley boy you used to always talk about."

Keegan flushed under the weight of her mother's stare, asking, "How do you know about that?" Though she already had a feeling how -- or more likely, who, had informed Vivian and probably Eleanor about George's new presence in Keegan's life.

"Gen," Vivian chuckled, the sound soon turning into a laugh when Keegan shook her head and muttered an 'of course it was Gen' under her breath. "So? When were you going to tell me you were seeing someone?"

"I'm not seeing George," she insisted. "We've only been on one date."

"But there's been talk of a second?" She was met with silence as Keegan averted her gaze to her food. "Hm, that's what I thought."