Chapter 12

(Jin Mori's POV)

Mori lays on the grass in the Beacon courtyard area early in the morning, quietly ruminating about all that's happened so far.

'It's been a month since Hui sent me here and so much has happened during that time. I got enrolled into a school, made some new friends, and even got a girlfriend. I wonder how everything is back on Earth...'

His eyes narrow as he remembers the scene forever stuck in his head. Park Mubong's arm stabbing through his Grandpa.

Mori's hands clench into tight fists and his eyes flash red as he relives that painful memory.

'I want to tear Park Mubong apart. Why did he have to do that?! Why?!'

He remembers his Gramps' advice to not hate people too much and stay alive.

His hands relax and he places an arm over his eyes to hide the tears threathening to fall.

'Gramps... he was smiling until the very end...'

The faces of Ruby, Yang, Weiss, Pyrrha, Jaune, Ren, Nora, and finally Blake flash through his mind.

'No. Never again. I won't let the same mistake happen again.'

The grass behind him rustles as someone approaches.

Blake: Mori?

Mori moves his arm and tilts his head up.

"Hey Blake."

Blake stares at Mori for a moment before taking a seat beside him. Her eyes flash with concern.

Blake: Is something wrong?

"N-No... what makes you say that?"

Blake: Hasn't someone told you yet? Your eyes are too honest.

"Was it really that obvious?"

He then weakly laughs.

"I was just thinking about the past."

Blake: Your friends back home?

"There is that... but I'm mainly thinking of my Grandpa."

Blake reaches out and gently traces her fingers through Mori's hair.

Blake: Well... you don't have to talk about it if you don't want to.

Mori shakes his head.

"My Grandpa... he found me when I was a baby and raised me. We don't share any blood, but he's the only family I have."

Blake: 'He doesn't have parents?'

"He... he passed away recently and I didn't know what to do. Even until the very end, Grandpa was smiling and thinking of my well being."

Blake remains silent as she continues to brush his hair.

"We have a family motto. Just do what you want to do."

Mori sadly smiles to himself.

"I think I finally know what he truly meant. I should enjoy my life to the fullest without regrets. Maybe that's why I'm smiling in the end..."

Blake: He sounds like a wonderful person...

"Yeah... he's the best."

The two remain in position for the rest of the morning, feeling at comfort within each other's presence.

(Timeskip to lunch)

Yang: The dance is in a week. Have you all gotten your dresses and tuxedos yet?