Chapter 14

(In the medical bay) (Jin Mori's POV)

The usual happy atmosphere that was present the previous night was nowhere to be seen the following day, as Ozpin, Glynda, JNPR, Mori, and WBY wait outside an intensive care room of Beacon's infirmary wing.

Yang has not spoken a word since Ruby has been admitted into the IC. Her eyes are shadowed by her hair and she tightly clenches her arms due to anxiety.

Blake sits beside Yang, staring at the room entrance with undisguised concern, while simmering rage is seen within her eyes.

Weiss's normal composure is non-existent as her shoulders tremble.

Meanwhile, Glynda watches the teenagers worriedly, while Ozpin is mulling deep in thought, disturbed by this sudden attack onto one of his students.

Finally, the door slides and Professor Peach steps out with weary eyes.

Yang jolts up.

Yang: Is she okay?!

Professor Peach releases a deep sigh before gesturing for them to enter.

Peach: She's stable... but barely. All of you can come in, but please mind the amount of noise you guys make.

Yang sprints into the room, while everyone else slowly follows after. The members of WBY & JNPR gasp under their breaths when they see Ruby. She's conscious, but her complexion is deathly pale and she wears an oxygen mask attached to a machine beside her bedside. The occasional hiss of the machine creates a depressing atmosphere within the room. Ruby weakly turns her head towards them as they approach.

Yang: R-Ruby...

Ruby: Yang...

Her brows are slightly squinted, suggesting that she is feeling constant pain but is doing her best to hide it.

Ozpin: Celestia, what is her current condition?

Peach: Her blood flow is abnormally thin, which is why she requires the oxygen mask. She seems to be suffering from several internal injuries that not even Aura cannot heal efficiently. I'm afraid that it will take months for her to reach full recovery.

Ozpin slowly nods his head before turning towards Ruby.

Ozpin: Ms. Rose, though this may not mean much, I must apologize. As the headmaster, I'm directly responsible for this incident.

Ruby: No... Professor... I... saw... someone... suspicious while... on... the balcony... I.... had to... do... something...

Yang: Ruby, don't force yourself.

The room's door suddenly open. They turn around to see General Ironwood walking towards them with a serious expression.

Glynda then glares at him.

Glynda: James, I do not recall you being invited here.

Ironwood: Nor do I need one for the sake of the security of this Kingdom.

He then gazes at Ruby.

Ironwood: Greetings Ms. Ruby Rose. If you did not know already, my name is James Ironwood and I'm the General of the Atlas army, as well as its Academy's headmaster. I would like you to answer some questions regarding to your assailant from last night.

Ruby: I...

Ozpin: James. This is hardly proper, my student is in no condition to be interrogated.

Ironwood ignores Ozpin and intently stares at Ruby, who shifts uncomfortably.

???: Leave.

Hearing a voice belonging to neither Ozpin or Glynda, Ironwood turns and locks eyes with Mori.